Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Raben Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Hey gang. . . new to the forums and good amounts of info!!

But some questions. I have gotten my Dad's 1963 Nova and looking at rebuilding the engine and later some performance work.

Rebuilding I found a kit from PAW for $412 shipped that included the Rod and Main bearings, Camshaft and lifters, oil pump, timing chain set with gears, cast pistons, piston rings, and engine gasket set. (Performance Automotive Warehouse).

So I am hoping that is all I need to rebuild the engine and get things going right? What about the head, the push rods, springs, etc??? And where to look to find those parts?

Also. . .now getting into performance. I've found headers and some intakes, carbs from Langdons Stovebolt and cliffords performance however I don't know exactly what I will need to do.

I am intriged to get the best out of this small 194 for the drag strip. I figured a dual 2bbl carb system with it's intake would work plus an aggressive cam. which btw need some info on cams. I understand what sort of cam I need on my LS1 for the Trans Am I own however I don't have a clue for the 6. I assume the higher duration for the 6 is more ideal but I'm not certain. Reason for asking ;\)

But I want to get as much NA as I can to a point. . .don't want to go over board NA as I do want to add boost. I would love to put a twin turbo setup on this thing and see what happens. . .provided it can be done without destroying the engine.

Has anyone tried and what are your stories on your success?

Thanks!!!!!

1999 Trans Am -- bolt on's
2003 Grand Am GT1
1963 Chevy II Nova 4dr -- new project
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Welcome to the board. A couple questions first. What are your goals for this engine and car? Pure strip, street cruiser, combination of both, G machine?

If you're going to go with turbos, or go to the strip, then you might want to think about putting in a larger engine. The best bet would be a 250 or 292. Almost all of the stuff from the 194 will work on the 250 (manifolds, headers, etc). I believe some of them will also work with the 292. The 292 is also 2 inches taller than the 194, 230, and 250.

PAW is an ok company, just make sure they place your order (ie call them). If you eventually plan on going with boost, then you might as well only rebuil the engine once with the good stuff (forged). As opposed to using cast then re-rebuilding with forged. There alot of things to consider, and I don't think anyone wants to spend more money than they have to.

Just let us know exactley what you're looking to get out of this engine and car. I hope this helps. John

'68 C-10 - 250 with Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel, Offy intake, Hedman headers and true duals, HEI, MSD 6A box, relocated gas tank
Soon to have: T-5 tranny
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
As far as engine kits go, I went threw Northern Auto parts. They are online catalog to. The complete kit just like the one you mentioned was only 279.00 for a 250. So you may get a good deal there.

R
Raben Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Cool I'll look into Northen Auto Parts site.

John. . . Yea I'm wanting a street/strip combo. That was one reason why I was thinking about keeping the 194. If possible I want to get the car down to low 12s or high 11s and leave it there. But I don't know if that's too far fetched for the small motor or if I am underestimating it \:\) So far everyone I've spoke to tells me I'll be surprised at what can be done with these engines.

If it would be better going to a 250 I'll probably look into that.

2003 Grand Am GT1
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
You would be much better off if you can find you a 230,250.as for twin turbos. Plumming will be hard enough to do just to get one into a chevy2 body if this is what you have.When i first talked with Paxton about trying to do two of theirs they told me i wouldn't gain much by adding a second one. a turbo on the other hand Will & can add more boost then any motor could ever Handle.This is one main reason why they need The Blow of valve. I feel a 194 & a turbo will be short lived for 11sec. runs Main reason being the small Cubic inchs. And You have to make the cubic inchs Up with the Turbo so it could end up making for a short life on the motor. Just my 2cents on that. but hope it helps.}[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Twisted6 knows his stuff. I agree with him completely. I think another problem will be what you can fit in the engine bay. If a 292 will work, then have at it. If not, then the next choice would be a 250. Good luck. John

BTW, I'm pretty much wanting to do the same thing as you. Hopefully I can find a 292 and boost the snot out of it. \:D Fun times.

'68 C-10 - 250 with Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel, Offy intake, Hedman headers and true duals, HEI, MSD 6A box, relocated gas tank
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
with the 292 in the chevy2 Body You can NOT use the 292 oil pan It WILL NOT Clear The Drag Link AT ALL. But a 292 going into any Body You will Need to fab a NEW Passager side motor Mount. hope this Helps.}[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
R
Raben Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
The 292 was another thought due to reading Leo Santucci's Inline 6 power manual.

The 250 I believe should fit ok. Don't think anything above it will fit unless I modifiy the hood?? I could be wrong though.

But I'm leaning towards shelling out for a 230 or 250 now rather than using the 194.

Thanks guys!

2003 Grand Am GT1
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
In regards to Chevy IIs with 292s, my 63 has a truck rear sump pan and it clears everything. Maybe it is fluke, but on the 66 Chevy II, a Nova 250 pan was used and a little massaging was needed by the drain plug to clear the steering linkage.

Also, depending on the carb and manifolds used, hood clearance could be an issue trying to turbo a 292 in a Chevy II.

Inliner #1916
R
Raben Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
If running NA on the 194, what is the max performance someone probably would see? I'm still debating what i want to do. If I want serious power which I know I'll need to size up abit. . . or just strengthen the 194, dress things up and make it a street show car.

What's the max wheel hp someone has seen so far out of that small block?

2003 Grand Am GT1
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I don't know if you'll be able to get that answer. I think most people drop the 194 for the 250 or 292 (just like the 350 deal). Anything is possible though, it just depends on how much you want to spend to get there. John

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 296 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available