Rate Thread
#35933 09/13/02 02:14 PM
J
jnkprtz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
I just got my Plymouth Concord back on the road. The 218 runs like a top for the first 10-15 minutes on the road. Then it seems to have a throttle problem; making it very hard to take off from a stop. Also, when driving at a constant speed (25-35), the engine bucks somewhat. Full throttle is fine as is country road driving. It's the city streets where I see the problem.
I'm still running the "Ball n Ball" carb which has been rebuilt and I've cleaned and coated the gas tank. The problem was there before and after this work.
Thanks for your help.
Mike (jnkprtz)

[This message has been edited by jnkprtz (edited 09-13-2002).]

#35934 09/14/02 02:46 AM
K
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
K
this all my opinion only, but i am guessing that the problem you notice at lower speeds and rpms is probably still a problem at high speeds and rpms, you just don't feel it as much. What condition is your timing chain/gears, distributor, points, vacuum advance in? How about the fuel pump? I had one 230 six that the fuel pump lobe on the cam was worn out. There are so many things to look for, I hope I give you something helpful. Check the carb for vacuum leaks while the engine is idling by spraying the outside of the carb lightly, in short squirts, with a can of ether starting fluid. If the rpm goes up when you shoot a certain place, you're leaking vacuum there. check the routing of the fuel lines leading to and from the fuel pump, especially the one from the pump to the carb, as it has to run around the exhaust manifold somewhere. Read your spark plugs to see if your fuel mixture is good, you may be loading up at low rpm's. Check your plugs, wires, cap and rotor. An old plug wire or cracked cap will do it every time. hope this helps,,,,,,,, Cory

#35935 09/15/02 02:05 PM
J
jnkprtz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
J
Thanks kccwoerth for the ideas. I have checked for vacuum leaks point gap. This week I will replace the tune up parts.

Let me tell you about the car. I am the second owner and have owned the old girl for 18 years. She has 21k miles on her and original paint, wheels and hubcaps (had original tires when I first recieved the car). Ten years ago while at a cruise the motor started with the problem that I have discribed before. Then on the way home the brakes went out. I got home safely but the old Concord sat till 3 weeks ago. The old paint has had it and when I fix one brake cylinder; another one pops. My goal is not to let this car sit but keep it as a driver and maybe a mild custom.
Thanks for the help,
Mike

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available