Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#36054 07/06/03 05:50 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hey everyone, are there any experts on IDing the various chrysler/dodge sixes? My grandfather has left us a couple of flatheads sitting out in the weeds at my uncle's place. One is a dodge/plymouth & the other is a chrysler/de soto industrial motor. I'm wondering if anyone knows casting #s & such so that I can positively ID these motors so I can know what 'm talking about if I determine they are worth trying to sell. Both engines (if I remember right) are complete- intake/exhast/carb/distribtor/etc. One thing nice about eastern oregon is that motors left outside tend to be preserved as its very dry. Unfortunately, with my grandfather gone I have no idea as to the histories of these motors & what they came from or why they where pulled. Thanks for any responces. Take care,
Edwin
'63 & '65 red tudors
'84 F150 4x4
all Inline!

'63 170 3spd red tudor
'65 200 auto red tudor
'84 F150 300 4x4
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Post the casting numbers here and I will try and ID them for You.
EvilDr235

------------------
Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
Remember EvilDr235 has a cure for Your sixness.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Well, I had a chance to go out to the engines today & here is what I found.
The chrysler motor is an industrial motor of some sort (uncle thinks it may have come from a combine?). The motor is complete exept for the carb. On the upper left corner of the block there is a flat spot with this stamped on: IND7 4536. On the lower left corner (under the starter) there are these cast numbers: 870729-8. The head number is: 954412-1. There is a plate on the right side, just under the exhast. For the most part its rather unreadable, but there is something about it being a chrysler industrial motor, etc. However there was some numbers stamped on: IND 7-60 4708. These numbers were hard to read & I'm not all that sure I got them right.
The dodge/plymouth is complete exept for the starter. On the upper left of the block there is this stamped: 84285814. On the lower left, just under where the starter would be, there are some cast numbers: 1484929-3. I couldn't get all of the head number as there was some sorta linkage in the way, but this is what I could get: 167633-?. Also, just under the distributor was a number "59" cast on, is this the year the motor was made?
I hope that I got the right numbers. I did clean the area around the engines to take some digital pics, but other than that I didn't do anything to them. My uncle isn't really interested in getting much for them, to tell you the truth if someone just showed up he'd probably just load them up & give them away. He's already done the same for me with a couple of the ford sixes that were siting there. Take care,
Edwin

'63 170 3spd red tudor
'65 200 auto red tudor
'84 F150 300 4x4
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Hello again.
I could not find any information on the Chrysler six at all.The other motor is a Dodge 230 cubic inch engine.My book says used from 1942 to 1962 for industrial uses,and 1942 to 1959 passenger car and trucks.Trucks and industrial motors used forged steel cranks and passenger car motors used cast cranks.Some motors also used steel camshafts.We have a wagnermobile forklift at work that uses a spitfire motor in it.It has a geardrive camshaft and not a chain and sprockets like the others.I have replaced the motor twice in 22 years.Thats a good service life. Always save the head gaskets as they can help ID motors.Also the head gasket can be used to make new solid copper gaskets.In Canada they had a 230 motor based on the Chrysler--Desoto size block.Also early Sherman tanks used 5 Chrysler spitfire motors in them.It was called a multi bank engine.Desoto size 251 motors were used till 1968 in Miltary W300 trucks. My friend drove his 1940 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup to Mexico in 1967 to tow his 1951 Chevy home after it broke a crankshaft.It used 14 quarts of oil to make the round trip.No excessive smoking tickets back then.Sorry I could not give you more info.Goodluck,
EvilDr235

------------------
Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
Remember EvilDr235 has a cure for Your sixness.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
So, the smaller motor is a 230. Any idea as to the year or the application?
I'd still like to find some info on the chrysler motor. I know this question has been asked before, but how do you post a picture on the board? If I can't do that I just may put a few of the best pics on my website & post a link. Thanks for the help.
Edwin

'63 170 3spd red tudor
'65 200 auto red tudor
'84 F150 300 4x4
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Posting pictures is about to get easier, we have a new version of the BB which will be installed in the next few weeks. The main thing, though, is that the picture has to be on a web page somewhere. There are a number of free sites where you can store your photos. Someone in another forum suggested photos.starblvd.net. There are others, do a Google search on "Free Web image hosting". Also check with your ISP, many offer free web space where you can upload your pictures.

Here is a link that explains how to add your pictures to a message on this board. Be careful that your image doesn't exceed about 3" x 5" in size.

If all this seems too complicated, send me the image you want posted, tell me where you want it to appear, and I will add it for you.

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Oliver used the 251 and the 265 in their combines. If it is a late model it will probably be the 265. The 265 had a bore and stroke of 3 7/16 x 4 3/4. The 251 had a stroke of 4 1/2. Hope this will help.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I put 3 of the pics on my site. Here's the link: http://www.geocities.com/edwins63/unk.html
If that link doesn't work use this one: http://www.geocities.com/edwins63/
Scroll down & click on the "other engines" link & that should get you there. The page tends to load slow as the pics are big. The first 3 are of a 2.3L 4-banger that I also inhereted from my grandpa.
Edwin

'63 170 3spd red tudor
'65 200 auto red tudor
'84 F150 300 4x4
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Seems to me there are 2 sizes of blocks, and the distance between intake runners is different. This won't tell you specifically what they are, but it will narrow down the field some.

I.I. #3174
P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
The first step would be to measure the length of the head. that will tell you if you are dealing with a small block (23" is the 218/230cu" small block) or big block (25" is the 250/261 big block). Then with the Big block motors there are qutie a few versions ,especially with the industrial types, combines, stationary (pumps) etc. The big block is more valuable, as some of the guys are Hotrodding there Dodges and Plmyouths by installing the larger Bog block where a small block once lived. Try posting at P15-D24.com on the message board. I'm sure one of the old boys ther ecan help you out. From what I can see in the pcts, at least the motor w/o carb is industrial type, can;t see the other one very clearly

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 311 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available