Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#36297 09/01/04 02:25 PM
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
My boys and I did our first shakedown cruise around the block last week in our '50 Plymouth. Lots left to do with the wiring, glass, and a few bugs to work out with leaks here and there, but it was a thrill to have the car move under it's own power for the first time in four years. The flathead runs great, and even without much more than idling around the neighborhood, the difference from the old tired 218 is amazing. The overdrive transmission that I rebuilt works in all of the gears, but won't know how the overdrive works till I get it wired. No strange noises or hiccups, once I get the exhaust and front fenders on, we can go for a real ride. I now have the new glass, which will go in next week if the planets align...

Below are a few pics of the "big event".

Here we go, down the street-

turning back into the drive-

the grins say it all, and we're still grinnin!

#36298 09/01/04 11:39 PM
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
That's more excitement then Disney World! \:D

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
#36299 09/02/04 12:40 AM
O
Contributor
Contributor
O
It looks like the kids are excited as you are! Future inliners maybe? That's really stylin'. Looks 1st class all the way! \:D

Jerry....I.I.# 3540
'27 T Nostalgia roadster
#36300 09/02/04 09:21 AM
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
4-doors do matter!
Great job and lots of experiance gained in a nice job like that!
Congrats.
Bob

ChoppedChevyCoupe

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
#36301 09/08/04 11:07 AM
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Looks good. I can't wait to hear about how it performs at speed.

-jeff

#36302 09/20/04 03:05 AM
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
Howdy from the panhandle.Thats a cool old plimmy.I remember when my girls were that age,cherish the moment because when they get older you will need to.Is it really Idaho down there?

#36303 10/07/04 02:02 PM
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Here's another bit of an update on the '50.

My boys and I have installed the front fenders, resolving the front fender to body and door to body rubber seal problem. The factory rubber for this area was all but gone, and there is no current re-manufacture of these parts, so we had to improvise. We used a rubber profile (GM?) that we had laying around to use in it's place, and it worked out great, looking like a factory detail. The original rubber in this area sealed the front fender to the body and the leading edge of the door to the body all in one piece.

The car is looking more complete now, especially with the grill sitting in it's place for a mockup. the grill has a bit of damage, so it will have to be repaired before being mounted. I installed some more of the stainless for a bit of instant gratification too, which motivates me to get more done!

Pete

#36304 11/04/04 02:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i have a 59 savoy, 4 dr post. i must admit, you have been a real encouragement and inspiration to my effort (which is still in the very early stages).

i fell in love with the car when i saw it in my friend's driveway, and could visualize the car redone. i'm planning to paint it t*tty pink, with pearl white flames. i think i'm also going to paint the top white as well.

when i first got the car, i was trying to decide what to do with the powertrain. the uniqueness of the flatty was intriguing, but there is little awareness of or information on this motor. that is, until i finally hit the right websites. i had been initially encouraged to convert to a 318 with torqueflite, but the flatty still fastinated me. i now know what can be done.

i had to spend $800 at the welding shop to replace the trunk and make a patch for one rear quarter. the original interior is gone, but the dash is beautiful. it has both the radio and clock.

right now, i have removed the front and rear glass, and we are doing body prep. i know it may seem backwards to some, but my body man is available and willing now, and he owes me (so i plan to collect). we have previously done a 71 f-100, which has been very satisfactory.

i don't know how radical i want to get with the flatty, but i want something gutsy enough to drive this huge heavy car down the highway. i don't need to race it; i just want good response. dependability is a must, economy is a nice plus. i'm looking for an overdrive unit.

someday, i'll get a digital camera and be able to post my progress.

when it's done, i also want a killer stereo system so i can listen to chuck berry, jerry lee lewis, and gene vincent in a properly rocking fashion.

#36305 12/23/04 07:34 PM
B
Newcomer
Newcomer
B
i've been closley following your progress too. you've helped me out a lot in planning the build up of my '50 dodge. check out the topic i posted: young rodder intro: '50 dodge, there's a link there with pics of my ride. you should update your page sometime, a lot of us can't wait to see more, thanx again

Vinni-O's HotRod Garage
#36306 12/28/04 11:05 PM
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
blacklight-

Glad you've found my ol plymouth site informative! I have been so burried in work and family, I havn't had any time to update the site. Not much has changed on the car that you can't seen in the pics above.

I checked out the pics of your '50, nice find. I really like the body style of the Dodge. I'm looking forward to updates as you get your airbags installed. Not sure if I'll go that route, but would like to see it done.

Here's a clip of footage taken in August of my car, on it's maiden voyage around the block sans glass, exhaust, or fenders. You can hear a nice cam lope right after my wife's commentary about the brakes... The still pics at the top of this post were taken at the same time.

http://www.andersonarc.com/jeep/firstride1.mov

best of luck with your dodge...

Pete

#36307 12/29/04 12:45 AM
B
Newcomer
Newcomer
B
thanks pete, i can understand about not having much time when there's family first, love the vid, can't wait for my maiden voyage, ill kepp you posted

Vinni-O's HotRod Garage

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 368 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available