Rate Thread
#37911 07/27/04 02:34 AM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
I'm new here and wanted to make myself known before I dry gulched anyone. \:D
Just rustled up a '54 Juniper Green 3100 5 window. 46K documented miles and never ever rusted(really). Even the interior is original. I've driven trucks for a long time and the only thing that ever made me grin and laugh as much is one of my old slow motorcycles.
It's a blast to drive and I'm proud to own it.
I've gotten more looks in this than any of my old bikes or cars. I had a fellow stop me at 3 consecutive lights asking me all sorts of questions about it. He was driving a brand new Cadillac Escalade. Go figure.

Thanks for a great website and excuse my long windedness.

Tom

"old enough to know better"
#37912 07/27/04 02:03 PM
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
BlazingSaddles,Welcome!You'll find lots of helpful people on the "Inliners" site.Your 3100,
5 window sounds great.Hope we can all see it sometime.I read in your profile you're a BMW cycle fan. I have a cousin(female) who has been
riding them for years and is also a certfied BMW
cycle mechanic.She wouldn't own any other bike! \:\)

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
#37913 07/27/04 03:51 PM
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Congrats on what sounds like a great score!!!!
It shouldn't be long before the rest of us are either trying to buy it from you or attempting to lead you astray with all sorts of hop up tips for your 235. ;\) .

I had to laugh out loud at your encounter with the Cadillac driver. We know we have more fun with our old vehicles than they do writing the lease check each month.

Best of luck with that neat truck and welcome!!!

Mike

Mike G #4355
#37914 07/28/04 11:54 AM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thanks, guys. I have the old "anything with wheels" sickness and it's been great.
The eldest of my BMW's is '55 model. It's a blast to ride (I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slowly).
I do all my mechanical work (rebuilding engines etc.) and just love a tough project.
Fortunately, the '54 isn't going to be a tough case. I learned a long time ago it's better to buy the best you can afford and never ever restore anything that you can buy already done for less money. This one wasn't restored, just tlc for many many years.
I was looking at the original seat cover last night. It appears that the original owner didn't have too many passengers as the only place it looks like anyone ever sat was behind the wheel.
I'm looking forward to discussing these trucks with everyone here and welcome all posts!

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Tom

#37915 07/28/04 01:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A hearty amen to the "Buy the Best" adage. You may pay a bit more up front, but a lot of folks get in over their heads (and wallets) when a resto-rusto project goes into more than they bargained for. I've seen more than one project sold by a disappointed owner, as a basket case, for less than what it was purchased for.

If you don't already know about our friends at Stovebolt , they host a very fine message board on Advance Design trucks. Also have good tech archives and classified section. Of course they send a lot of their members here, for those who want to "warm-up" their stovebolts just a bit. Also check out the Chevytrucks page. You won't lack for good company in your old truck experience.

#37916 07/28/04 04:33 PM
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thanks for the tips, Jack.
Having held the hands of those who have gone down the "rusty road" I can say from experience that you don't come out ahead of the game when buying something that can cost enough money to start a war by the time you're done.

Tom

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 358 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available