Print Thread
Rate Thread
#3796 05/27/04 02:35 AM
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
I've got a stock 235, mechanical lifters, in a 53 chevy Belair. I had the engine rebuilt by a friend a couple of years ago. Unfortunally he skipped town once he got the engine in the car...not running. I basically have it going now, but am setting up the timming by myself. I understand the ballbearing on the fly is about 5'BTDC. Where do I do from their with my distributer? Any hits and suggestions would help so I can have this thing runnuing smooth.

Bill
53 Chevy Belair
235 Stock (For now!)
#3797 05/27/04 08:24 AM
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear Bill;

First you have to find TDC on #1 cylinder as the ball 'lines up' twice. So; remove #1 plug & rotate the engine with the starter until you feel pressure(with your finger) in the that cyl. & line it up then.

Next see if the distributer is in right. If not, remove it watching which way the rotor turns as you will need to know this when you re-install it(it will rotate the oposite way). Now rotate the rotor to the #1 position and install it. Make sure it goes all the way down, or the oil pump won't work.

Clear as mud; right???

Without turning the engine try it a few times until you get it right. You may have to move the oil pump drive slot with a screw driver to line it all up.

Good luck, John M.........

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
#3798 05/27/04 09:23 PM
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Thanks. I've got it set. I never thought it would be that easy. Now just to set the carb.

Bill
53 Chevy Belair
235 Stock (For now!)

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available