Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
chevyII That can be Tig welded back On to the Block with nickel. As they weld that a STud can be installed at the same time this way you would never have to worry about removing it. But that does Bite that That had happened.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Nice truck you have there, chevyII. Keep us posted on your progress.I'd like to know how the 390 holley works for you.As for headers, I plan on going with a Clifford, w/o X pipe.I guess it's more a matter of personal preference.Any header should improve performance ,I would hope.The main reason I want to upgrade is because every Nova 6 I owned had cracked flanges on the exhaust manifold,and the little "doughnut" that sealed the manifold to the pipe would blow out and make my Nova sound terrible.I would agree with the other comments about muffler choice....it depends more on what sound you are interested in.let us know what you decide once you have that fresh rebuilt 292 in there.

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
292 4 spd. OD Offy intake Edelbrock 500cfm long tube headers 4:56 rears
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I run an Offy manifold on my 292 with a 625 cfm Carter AFB (same as an Edelbrock 600 cfm, essentially.) I've had it there for a little over a year. I love it. Great setup. People told me I'd lose...well...just about everything...torque, driveability, high end power, low end power, mileage..but none of that's turned out to be the case. It starts right up (gotta love the electric choke) and has very little of the one-barrel coldbloodedness that the Monojet had. It's very driveable, with no loss if low end power. I think I'll keep it. Oh...mid and high range power are great, too. You can sure hear it when the secondaries kick in.

Exhaust: I run Hedman split Hedders with Cherry Bomb glass packs. Yeah...just like the 50s. And it sounds like it. (I had a guy tell his young helper, "now THAT'S the way hot rods sounded when I was your age!) I have the exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels on opposite sides of the truck. This wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it's what the muffler guy put on...so I left it that way. But I love the sound. Yeah, it raps and crackles as it winds up and it snaps and pops when I back off the gas, but that sound fits the personality of this truck perfectly.

If I wanted a low, smooth sound, I'd use a single 2.5 or 3" exhaust pipe with a turbo muffler and not keep the 2 sides split. The quieter I wanted it, the larger muffler I'd use.

The X pipe (I have one on the 406 V8 setup in my 80 El Camino) works well for a 90 degree motor, but doesn't do the same thing on a 120 degree (I6) motor...it just kills the split exhaust sound.

I'm happy with the way my truck is set up...but it wouldn't be the right setup for everyone.

W
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
W
Ray,
I have visited your site before.
Glad to read things are getting better with the SS.
They should pay back to your filing date I think.
That will help I know.

Good Luck.

Make your own decision,

Just my Thoughts,
Walt 1940
I.I.# 4712
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Thanks, Walt. I'll wait and see what happens on the back SSDI pay...it'd be nice, but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, things have worked out ok, even if we DID have to downsize a little. I'm lookin forward to gettin "Rufus" into the garage and start jumpin into that ptoject a bit.

Thanks for the thoughts...

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
Sorry folks, I can be repetative. \:\)

It occured to me today, that I read a post done by the frenchtown flyer (believe he is an automotive engineer) some time ago on another forum, regarding crossover pipes.

My experience means nothing because of my no name hobby shop status... :rolleyes: ...so maybe the thoughts of an engineer will shed light.

And I quote:
A crossover pipe IS USEFUL on a six cylinder engine and even a four cylinder engine with dual exhausts. Some motorcycles use them, even two lungers. What they do is to attenuate the peak pressure rise in the exhaust system, thereby lowering the maximum overall backpressure that is seen at the exhaust valve. "X" pipe designs maintail a little more velocity than an "H" pipe but they're all good.

If anyone would like to read thoughts, done by those that HAVE installed a crossover pipe on their inline engine and the effects it had on the sound, I can offer you a couple links. One contains a post by another tech, very informative.

Thank you for your time. \:\)

W
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
W
'nuff said.
THIS THREAD IS OVER.

Make your own decision,

Just my Thoughts,
Walt 1940
I.I.# 4712
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 368 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available