Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
i was preping the engine bay in my 63 chevrolet getting ready to put in the 292 very soon. this truck had a v8 when i got it but i think it was originally a 6 truck. i have been told you can move the passenger side one foward to accept the 292. i was getting ready to do this and there isn't a lower hole for it in the right location. there is one on the frame but not on the bottom. do you just have to drill this? i assumed it would be there. the only one is not in the right place. am i just missing something???

J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Dear HR;

If you know a 'one hole drill' is the answer okay, but remember; "Assumption is the Mother of all foul ups."

Should I check my 66 3/4 ton-292 for ya??

\:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
HR,

I have a 63 with a 292 and there should be a hole to the front of the lower cross piece. Do you have the correct brackets?

Aaron
63 C-10 Longbed
292 700r4 373
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
i don't know if i have correct anything! i am just using the towers that were in the truck. it had a 327 partially installed when i got it. i don't think it had even been started. the towers look the same as on my 64 and i put a 250 in it, it had the original 230. i didn't look close when i changed my 292 in my 66 years ago and don't have it anymore. i always just saw the extra bolt hole on the frame and figured there would be one below under the grease below. there is really just one more hole on the frame so it uses one new one and one that was already being used. down below their is a slotted hole but it a couple of inches away from being where it needs to be. it is closer to the bottom of the frame instead of being in the same plane only foward. on a side note i found i need to get a engine mount bracket too. i had a pile of mount brackets but none will work. all the ones i have are like the drivers side one where the top bolt hole is recessed in a little. i wonder if all the block castings are the same or i have a pile of drivers side mounts.i checked and the 250 i have is the same and a 292 i have in storage too, but everything else i have off has a car bracket on the engine. on the block on the passenger side the bolt holes are all even in one plane. so i will have to try to rob one off one of my parts trucks. this hole pass side is turning in to a real pain in the rear. yea john if you could check that would be great or if anyone knows.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
As I've been told the 230/250/sbc motor mount perches of the frame are all the same. The 292 is different, so if you have a parts truck with a 292 in it, grab the perch and you should be done. IF you need pics let me know I have a spare and a 63 with a 292 in it.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
that's what i was afraid of. well looks like i'm going to have to try to buy some, anyone know where i can get them. i don't think i have a 292 parts truck. i guess the bracket that mounts to the engine is the same looks like the one off my 250 would work. thanks larry, john, and aaron

W
Newcomer
Newcomer
W
HR,
I am having the same problem putting a 292 in my 80 model C-10. My service manual shows the passenger side frame mount is definitly different between the mount for the 250 and 292. I went to my favorite wrecking yard the other day to look for one and was surprised to find he only had about a dozen cars/trucks left. I guess scrap is paying better than used parts. I'll be getting out the torch and making my own.
Anyone have a Hollander manual that would show all the years that share the same mount?

Willie

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
i have a lead on some for my truck but two have fell thru. i may be able to help you on yours. i went to a wrecking yard and looked thru bunches of trucks. i found a 292 in a later style stuck late seventies i think. i plan on buying this 292 before it is crushed- it ws in that pile. i will ask them if the pass side tower will be any extra and how much for it if you want. it is not the kind that will fit my application it has a bolt that goes thru eyes at the mount and won't fit my truck. let me know i will go back on mon the 19th. i did find lots of other stuff like hei dist w/ coil in cap, dash knobs, door panels for my 63, and other stuff.

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
i finally got a perch/ tower!!!!!!!!!!! i went back to pay them for a 292 i found and i found a truck with the engine out that had the right one. it was so funny it was in the to be crushed pile too. about 40 cars long by 6 cars wide by 4 cars high! i had to crawl on my belly 3 rows back and take this off the truck on the bottom. it was wild to have all those cars towering over you. all they said was be carful. well it's mine now.

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Do not know if these are actually the correct ones, but maybe hoggy can let everyone who is interested if they are. At least the photos could be good reference when looking through your local junk yard.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PERCHES-F...1QQcmdZViewItem

Inliner #1916
H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
wow 25 plus 10 shipping and the reserve isn't even met. it is amazing how expensive this stuff has got to be. i wonder what the reserve even is, 50 or 100?

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
forgot to say thanks bruce, the pictures are valuble to me. i have changed several 292's and hadn't looked close enough to remember. all the others i've done i replaced engine thing with same one, didn't have to change anything. well on this one i wish it was that easy. the block i built was totaly apart and truck had a v8 and as john said in another post mickey mouse had paid a visit or two.

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Wow, that helps me alot too just for knowledge's sake. Looks like my 250 perch on the drivers side and my V8 perch on the passenger side! Interesting...

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
well i have bought another perch and a motor bracket from a salvage yard out of state so they will be on their way soon. they are out of a 65 so they should work. we will see!

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Here's a link I found on Perches,

http://www.persh.org/Pickup/perches.htm

Larry

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
thanks larry. those are great pics that is exactly what i'm wondering about. 71 stepside's perches were in the front positions mine were in the rear , both were from v8's. mabey the automatics from 67 on were in the front position or big block v8's. i can't wait to compare the 63 to 66 perch i get to the one i bought of a 67 thru 72 truck that had a v8 to see if they are the same. if all 63 to 66 v8's use the back position and only the 292 uses the pass front position, why is there a front drivers side position on my 63?? mabey it will always be a mystery.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
There is mention that the forward holes are for a 4x4. Here's a link to the post were I found the previous link.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/155283/

Larry

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
thanks again larry. seems to even be some contradiction on that post as well to what they are used for. thanks alot everyone i have learned a lot just looking at all the good pics.

H
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
H
well i finally got the right perch, first time they sent the wrong one. i compared it to the one that had the v8 in the front position and they are different. even though they fit in the same position as the front v8's the 292 ones don't stick out as wide. also the 292 uses the same motor bracket as on the drivers side only it has 7/8 spacers in the bottom bolts under the brachet. i'm thiking of writing a book on 292 motor mount brackets/perches. :rolleyes:hr

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 296 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available