Print Thread
Rate Thread
#38592 10/16/07 01:20 AM
N
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
N
I think I'm either a nut job or genius( u can guess what my wife says) because I have a 248 out of a '49 buke and a factory dual carb set-up from a '41 buke and I'm debating if I should put it in my '49 chev p.u.? The 216 needs a complete overhaul but the 248 is a strong runner.(dual carbs not yet installed) The p.u. six's block is 27" and the buke's straight 8 is 31" I need some input what guys think?

Ain't to proud to be broke down.
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
I would save that Buick/2 carb & contact the Buick Club for a buyer, making a profit in the process.

At the same time; find a 261 for your truck. It "bolts in" and looks original to most, making the truck gain in value every year, forever. Plus; 60 more horsepower (stock). \:D

To do it otherwise is not as good a 'financial bet' as; a rare combination like that will be very hard to sell later. It will require a lot of conversion/extra money, right now too.

What transmission could you use??

Many "shy away" from engine conversions on early vehicles because of this. There 'harder' to re-sell later & make any money on. Often there's so many problems involved there never finished and 'all is lost' (money-time wise).

Please do some research before you lite the torch.

Patrick's number is: (520) 836-1117.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon
N
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
N
I think your right John. I seen the dual carb set-up go for as much as $1800 on ebay. Mine is complete with air cleaner, carbs (1 carter, 1 stromberg),linkage , intake/exhaust manifolds and a perfect "Y" pipe. My father told always told me I was a throw back from the 50's (I'm only 33) because of my innovativeness and flavor for that era. I have a '53 chev 210 sedan period full custom equipped of course with a 235 bored .060 over balanced and blueprinted (by clifford research). ya know with all the vintage goodies. modified twin rochesters on a offy intake and fentons, 36" smitthys, T-5 trans w/ a custom adapter from bendtson's (actually they used my set-up for their trans adapter!) and a 3.56 economizer from a '56 bel air. Gets pretty nice too.. about 25-28 hi-way.
Anyways back to the truck. I'm looking for a little economy being this will be my semi-daily. And the buick gets good mileage(about 16). I know cause its currently in my '49 special. I've got a line on a vintage edmunds dual intake for a 216 I just don't know if it'll bolt up to a 261. I got dual carbs on the brain I know!!

Ain't to proud to be broke down.
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
I think you would find that you would have to build a pretty deep recess in the firewall to stick in that straight 8. It sure would be nifty in a roadster that resembled an old 2 seat Indy car from the early thirties though. That isn't an original idea by a long shot but it would make a nifty car.

1948 Chev pickup.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 445 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available