Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I
I know a fella that has a 196 ci flat six out of a 62 american deluxe amc, also has the 3 speed tranny. He was wanting to tear it down and clean everything up to resale, anyone have an idea what these items might be worth, are they hard to find, desirable, undesirable? thanks

block, head,pistons, rods, head, cam, oil pan, crank, tranny

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
INLINE,
As one who worked on those waaay back when...I wouldn't bother with it at all. However, there maybe a restorer somewhere looking for some of those pieces.
If you tear it down, you'll know why I don't recommend studs to hold down a flat head cylinder head.

Jim

Jim - #2130
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
I'm working on an OHV version of the 196 and can tell you parts are getting hard to come by....and expensive! If you've got room to store it, put it on e-bay. You might end up with enough money to rebuild a nice one of the Big Three inline engines! Other than that, it'd make a great boat anchor!

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
It would also make a great turbo motor! All the 196s have forged cranks and rods, and wide main bearings (though only four -- but with the heavey forged crank...). Go for some custom forged pistons and blow about 15 psi in there, or keep it down to around 5-7 psi and the stock pistons are fine.

Yes, parts ARE getting expensive and hard to find. Balancers have to be sent out and rebuilt. It's not a power house, but is a good low speed torque motor. Ready to pull right off idle, but does not like to run at higher rpm for long (higher meaning 2K and above for this thing!).

I used to run a 196 OHV in a daily driver 63 American, and years before that a L-head in a 61. The OHV will cruise at 70-75 all day with a few mods (custom reground cam, 2" exhaust/turbo muffler, open breather). The L-head will cruise 60-65 with just the 2" exhaust/muffler change. It might run a little faster, but that's about the upper limit for steady cruising, and you'd lose a little speed going up big hills (~5 mph). Drop both about 10 mph stock.

The parts situation is why I stopped running one in my driver about 8 years ago. I rebuilt my last one a couple years before that and had to send the water pump out to be rebuilt. Just didn't want to have something relatively simple go out away from home and be stuck with a big bill due to waiting or having to have towed long distance. AMC used Delco or Autolite electrical systems (distro, starter, generator), which use the standard GM/Ford six equivalents (shaft and housing on distro is altered), but you can't pick up a 1960 GM/Ford starter in most parts stores today! You'll have to at least wait for delivery the next day from the warehouse -- if it's in stock.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars Magazine
for AMC/Rambler owners
http://www.amc-mag.com

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 452 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available