#3966 06/11/04 11:35 AM
E
echo3 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
E
hello,

would like some help. i am the new owner of a '61 panel truck! to the best of my knowledge it has a 235cid backed by a three speed trans. i do not know what rearend gear it has. what i would like to do is to replace the motor and trans with something more practical for daily freeway driving, mountains are involved. as i have read there are a couple of options, but the one that appeals to me is a 292cid backed by a t5 trans. i would like to do the least amount of fabricating to pull this off, i would like an engine that takes a regular oil filter and does not have a bypass system, would like an engine that is well supported so that i can upgrade to headers and a dual carb manifold easily, so here are my questions:
1. what motors will bolt to my stock motor mounts and bellhousing?
2. will the flywheel i have now bolt to a 292cid so that i can retain the same starter?
3. does anyone here have experience with the stovebolt motor mount kit? does it require welding?

sorry for the long post, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and your input
thanks, scott

'61 chevy panel truck
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
1. Only the 235 or a 261 will bolt up to your current belhousing and motor mounts.

2. If you use any other engine than a 235/261, then the bellhousing, starter, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch fork, will all need to change. tranny wouldn't have to change, unless you want to.

3. Don't know anything about it. Call them directly and find out.

Try finding a 63-66 truck in the salvage yard, etc.. that has a six in it for comparison.

I.I. #3174
E
echo3 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
E
thank you for the information.

'61 chevy panel truck
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
All the V8 bellhousings from a pickup 1955-1972 will fit your 292. The pickup bellhousings have the rear motor mounts like you already have. So will the flywheels, although you may have to drill out the bolt holes. The V8 starters will work--the ones that bolt to the bellhousing.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 316 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available