OP Offline
Contributor
C
Bolts right in!
Thats what they say. Yeah right!

Here is what I have:
1959 235 engine
1941 bellhousing, flywheel, tranny

Yesterday I found out that in 1959 they used wider bolts to bolt the flywheel on the crank shaft. O.K. redrilled the 1941 flywheel no big problem so far.

Today I wanted to bolt on the 41 tranny. It seems that the input shaft is about an 1/4 inch to long. (Of course it is not but it wont slipp in all the way)

Than I checked the old engine. There is a roller bearing instead of the later bushing. But same size.

Still have no clue why it is not going all the way in. It stoppes about a 1/4 inch before the tranny and the bellhousing surfaces mate.

Im about to take a torch and burn the whole thing down.

Any ideas please?

Thanks, Frank

To old to die young.
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Just an educated guess but the LENGTH of the pilot bushings may be different? You can smear some grease on the front of the teeth of the tranny input shaft and stick it back in as far as it will go. Then remove it and check for contact marks on the face of the pilot bushing. If it is not too long there won't be any grease marks on it and the problem is elsewhere. If there are; then remove it and shorten it by the required amount plus a bit more for a hot clearance and reinstall it. Or get a new one and do the same procedure before installing it.

Not fun I know but what can you do?

Mike G #4355
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
One other thought Here is You may not be lined up 100% and your not going into the bushing at all. The disk maybe a little off center of the bushing. Just a thought? because i have had this problem with mine a few times if the disk is not centered. hope this helps }[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
T
Contributor
Contributor
T
i dont recall seeing if its an auto tranny or standard...not to knowledgable on the different types of trannies, but i have swapped a few in and out of the car...one of the swaps required using the old belhousing and torque converter...another required a changed flywheel...with an auto tranny make sure the torque converter has slipped on and clicked 3 times...not sure how a standard is, but like twisted six says then...

got my 78 merc with a 250 I6 and i love it.
J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
I've had the same problem many times,sounds like your just not lined up pefectly.It helps to file just a bit of a taper on the end of shaft where it goes into the bearing and grease it as well,hope this helps.....jimm

Contributor
Contributor
Lay a straight edge across ther bell housing and see how much the shaft enters the pilot. Make some measurements on the block side laying the straigt edge accross the flywheel and see if they match.
Also if the pilot bearing is brass you should see some marks where you have been possibily a little mis-alligned. Done this many times and they are tight. I have used my feet stomping on the tail shaft many times to get them to go. I big bucket of 4 letter words helps too! ;-)

Clyde

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Is the pressure plate bolted down tight? If so, try loosening it so that it just barely keeps the clutch disc in place. This way, you can move it around a bit when you try to put the tranny in. This can be done because you have a removeable lower inspection cover, and can tighten the pressure plate bolts up afterwards. Another way would be to hook up the clutch fork, and have someone push in the clutch when you try to install the tranny.

Were there any locating pins between the bellhousing and engine block? if not, the bellhousing may not be centered properly. You might want to get a dial indicator and a magnetic base and check for runout on the tranny pilot hole. The procedure should be in the shop manual. Even if the pins are there, that doesn't mean it is all lined up perfectly.

I.I. #3174
C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
GOT IT IN!
The alignment tool was to sloppy. Did what Gearhead said and used an old input shaft instead of that lousy plastc tool - and it slipped right in.

Also bolted the whole engine in this afternoon.
Without any help but the engine lift and im really proud of that. ;\)

The result can be seen here:

A verry dirty, tired and lucky Frank \:D

Thanks for the help guys, Frank

To old to die young.
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
After all that I thought you might have a little bigger smile on your face!! Looks great Frank!!

Mike G #4355
C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
Yeah, Mike right!
Somehow im always looking like an Idiot on photos ;-)But you can bet, I was more than happy.

To old to die young.
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Now you know what you are supposed to do with all those old input shafts.

Ed Pruss
Longmont, CO

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Way to go Frank ! Looks good.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Congrats, what are those carbs?

I.I. #3174
C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
The carbs are 2 Holley-Weber progressive.
The art-deco looking thing on top is a adaptor to adapt the original air cleaners to the strange weber pattern.

Frank

To old to die young.
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Frank!

We all do the best we can with what we have, and you are doing wonderfully well. Thank you for the picture of your progress! That engine looks fine, and so do you. Those good, mismatched oil-bath air cleaners, the one from the '41 and the one from the 235, will protect your engine better than chrome plate and paper, and they bring back memories. The adapters to make them fit are a fine piece of work. Some of us remember fondly engines that looked just like that. They did what they had to do then, and yours will do it now.

Soon, it appears, you'll be out looking for those flatheaded v-things. Happy hunting!

God's Peace to you.

d

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Frank,Have you been able to sort out your pushrod/lifter complexities?

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
C
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
C
Don,

I have 2 of the 41 and 2 (actualy 3)of the oilbath cleaners. I want to use the oilbath pots because of the good cleaning performance but they come verry close together and I´m not sure if they clear the hood.

I try to do it verry old school. I painted the engine with a brush instead of a spray can, let some dings and dents in the valve cover where they are and so on. The guys in those good old days did`nt have show quality shine and chrome.
And I don`t want a trailer queen.

Old memmories huh? Have you checked out my 2 links?

www.TheSavoy.de and www.Hotheadseast.com

This will probably bring back a whole bunch of memmories ;\)

All those pictures are from the last view years (just because poeple always ask if they are old)

V8 F...head? No I don`t think so. I stay in line \:D

Catdog:

I asked manny guys and got many answers.
To make a long storry short: I orderd a set of short lifters with that anulus in the middle that look like hydros at Stovebolt Co.
So I can ditch that oil line inside the side cover and keep the long pushrods. .

Seems that this engine was a exchange motor and lots of guys modified it several times.

Frank

To old to die young.
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Well, we never know what we'll find on any project.That's part of the fun(?) and in the end,the satisfaction. By the way,I've shown your web sites to people who couldn't care less about inlines, but really enjoy the classic look
you have on yours.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Frank,
Make sure that central passageway in the block hasn't been blocked off (to use that oil line) or you won't get any oil upstairs.

I.I. #3174

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available