Print Thread
Rate Thread
#37377 10/25/07 08:42 PM
C
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
C
Hello, I'm new to this site but have read most of the posts trying to find an answer to my questions, and have found great information. However, I'm a little confused. So here are my questions. I have a 39 P8 delux 201, original exhaust. I have a offy dual intake manifold for 1 barrel carbs. I have matching carbs [D6A1] to use. One is working on the car right now, and the other I rebuilt. I know each has to be the same ie. jetting etc, but do I need to lean out, get a split ehaust manifold [more in more out] any other info I could get would be very helpful. Also, can I get a pertronix igniton for the orginal dist? P.S. I live at 9000'. Thanks in advance

#37378 10/25/07 10:48 PM
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
You will get a noticeable amount of increased power in just splitting the exhaust. Adding a second carb will give you more power but it will be in the single digits where the split exhaust will give you about a 10% increase. In my case my '49 D30 230 cu in motor I added a second outlet but did not split the halves. This way I am still able to use my intake heat riser. I also did more for carberation, I built an adaptor and added a holley 94 2 barrel carb rotated 90 degrees. This way I only had to make 1 adjustment to the stock throttle linkage. You might check out the www.p15-d24.com website. A lot of those folks use a dual carb setup and will be familiar with the tuning charcteristics

Jim

Graham #40448 03/07/08 02:22 AM
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
On the carb question stock jetting should be fine. If you go to a dual exhaust you may need to richen them slightly.

One handy mod is to put an oxygen sensor in your exhaust and connect it to a volt meter. You can read off your mixture strength and adjust carbs accordingly.

There are several web sites that describe the process in detail if you do a Google search.

If you rebuild the carbs it would pay to fit the throttle plates as tight to the bore as possible. This will make it easier to get a good slow idle adjustment.

Carbs made for multi carb installations come with a thicker throttle plate that fits tighter for this reason.

I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
cole18cars #40454 03/07/08 12:34 PM
Contributor
Contributor
 Originally Posted By: cole18cars
...Also, can I get a pertronix igniton for the orginal dist? ...

If you are running 12v negative ground, you can use a GM mini HEI distributor from Langdon's Stovebolt Six, $180.

Pete

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 132 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available