Print Thread
Rate Thread
#40497 03/09/08 02:26 PM
M
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
M
I have a newly rebuilt(less than 100 miles) 292 with a Rochester Monojet carburetor. When I shut the engine off sometimes it will keep running(sometimes backwards)and sometimes it will backfire. An old book I have says there are three possible reasons for this:
incorrect timing, incorrect grade of gasoline, or incorrect carburetor adjustment. The book really doesn't go into anymore detail than that. The timing is set pretty well, and I've been tinkering with the carb trying to tune out some other issues. Any ideas how to tune this out? It sure can be embarrassing!

Last edited by MXmaniac237; 03/09/08 02:26 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
sounds like a timing issue to me. can you go thru your timing for me. explain how you set it up. and did you check the mechanical vs vacum timing? tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Set your idle speed to spec. you may experiencing "dieseling" due to a high idle setting and higher cyl temps with rebuilt engine. Some GM engines used an electric soleniod to control the idle so that when you turned off the ignition it retracted closing the throttle plate completely to prevent dieseling. After reading your other post you may have other problems which is causing you to have to run too much throttle plate opening at idle just to keep it running. You might want to clean and rebuild your carb completely. Also check for vac. leaks and pluged or misrouted hoses. It is probably something so simple you are just over looking it. Good Luck

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 296 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available