Print Thread
Rate Thread
N
nogo69 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
N
I found two 235 six cyl engines.One of the engines is in a 1958 Apache truck and it has a" 848" head on it and needs built.The other engine also needs built and is in a 1953 Chevy 4 door with head #3701887. How do you tell if the 53 engine is a blue flame self oiler engine ,its painted a red color??Both engines are $100 each.
The six i have now is made around 57 or 58 and also has the "848" head on it but the block is cracked real bad. :-(
Here are some pics

Last edited by nogo69; 04/07/08 06:11 PM.

"FRAGEELEE must be italian"
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Take the '58; the '53 is a splash oiler with babbit bearings. If you already have a complete 235, the '58 may yield a usable block and head, once you have it disassembled. Disassembly may be hard labor, given how much rainwater appears to have preceded you.

One hopes that they aren't wanting much silver for that iron. . . .

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

N
nogo69 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
N
Will the engine thats in the 58 chevy truck bolt up to my 49 chevy coupe? Are the engine mounts in a different place than mine.

Contributor
Contributor
Is the 1953 a Powerglide? Those 235s came with full pressure lubrication, aluminum pistons, etc. The sticks were 235 babbit cranks with iron pistons. That engine in the 53 does not look like the original. Does it have the oil distribution plate on the central lower side of the block on the driver's side? That is the sure sign of the babbit pounder engine. Get the block casting numbers for a more positive identification.

You may need the front engine plate from the '49 on either engine to mount it on the front crossmember of the '49. The later engines had side mounts of one type or another, but some of the later plates can attach to the front mounts. See if the front plates on the boneyard engines have the provisions for holding the '49 mounts.

Without seeing the engines, the 1958 seems like a better deal, just for the head. Better condition 235s often go on ebay for not much more than $100.

Hoyt, Inliner #922
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
While you are out looking around, don't overlook the GMC pickup. In the 50s and up until 1962, they used a 261 cu in six that is a honey. It is a close relative of the 216/235 Chev six and will bolt into the same cars.

In Canada they installed the 261 in Pontiacs as well as GMC pickups. A 261 Pontiac could outdrag a 283 Chev up to 40 or 50 MPH.

I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Hi nogo69,

I think Hoyt is right if the 53 motor is a full pressure block it may be the better fit. The 261 would be nice, but out of the choices you have. I would go with the 53 motor as long as it is a full pressure motor. I believe you can use the 848 head you have on the 53 engine, if not the original head will work fine. It is better then the original 49 motors. The thing about using the 55-62 235 is the water pump is longer toward the radiator and you will have to make adjustments or modifications, or you can purchase a water pump that adjust that problem, kind of pricy in my opinion. This is the same for the cars or trucks, that is why the 54 motor is always the one of choice for cars and trucks pre 54 less modification, and full pressure oiling with the same style water pump. The 53 motor that was bolted up to the automatics were the first full pressured 235 motors. I hope this helps some, good luck with your project and I hope you get the right motor.

Steve

N
nogo69 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
N
The motor that is in my 49 now is a 1957 blue flame so i already have all the things to do the swap for a later motor ya see.
Were the babot rod engines that bad? What was so bad about them?
Later Matt

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 156 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available