Print Thread
Rate Thread
#40535 03/10/08 11:09 PM
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
so as many of you know, i just dropped off the 261 block and looks like I am going with the .060 overbore, and I have an offenhauser triple intake, so I am getting 2 webers from tom for my b-day from my brother and my mom, and its going to be 9-9.5 compression ratio and a good performance cam like 264-268 degree cam and like .440-.470 lift at the valve, so heres what I need to know, since i am getting two, and will buy a third later when I get the 292 rolling, would two holley webers be better for my application, or would two carter webers be better???? does the carter webers have all the in depth linkage like the holleys or are they all self contained and you just hook up a rod to it??? I am getting ready to order these very soon, like in the next 48 hours or so, plus since i am putting only two to start on the 261 I should choke both carbs and put them on the ends and just plug up the center one, does that sound ok?????

you can lead people to truth, but you can't make them see it!
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
are ya kiddin me, I cant get a single reply on this, i know that there are loads of you gentlemen out there just lookin to drop bombs on this subject, anyhow if anyone could give me a little guidence on this subject and what would be best for MY build, not so much which is better between the two, thanks in advance guys!!!

Contributor
Contributor
dbane261,

Wish that I could help, but I have no first-hand experience with Webers. If you are getting the carburetors from Tom Langdon, call him and ask him about which to use, how to choke, etc. Also search this forum, if you have not yet done so.

What is engine going into? A pickup? When I had three 97s on my 261 in a '53 Chevy the clearance between the aft carburetor and the firewall was very tight.
Good luck,

Hoyt, Inliner #922
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
i think that Tom Langdon will give sound and useful advice concerning what you should use, how you should set it up, and what he sells that will help you do what you want to do.

Another useful person to consult is Jon at "The Carburetor Shop" (http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/), who is sometimes present in this forum.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
sounds like thats what I'll have to do, thanks guys!!!!

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Know someones got minor stumblin´with the Holley Weber(32/36)on acc. Seems like its little to small as single setup......He tried with other adjustments, this was set up by Tom, now its packed down again, he uses his tri setup instead.
HWeber used less gas, but didnt function in the middle section!

"if your car needs more than 2 hubcaps, it ain´t COOL"
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
I swear that Tom is ducking my phone calls, he must be, no I am just kidding, but I am trying to figure out in another thread if the triple linkage set up is a long horizontal bar that unifies all of the individual carbs linkage to it and if that is how this set up works, I would call tom but I just get a message, no call back, because I want to run just the outer carbs as webers on my offy triple and plug the middle and if the bar runs the whole length then i think I am just going to do this instead of three right now, so any help here would be hot!!!! from anyone who has this triple set up. I think I am going to run the carter webers just becuase they are brand new and not rebuilt and there seems to be great response to them here while the holley reviews seem mixed at best, any thoughts or help anyone? PS I got my cam from delta cam today, its .446 at the intake, with .464 at the exhaust and 268 duration mechanical, just got to figure out who makes the advance gear to advance the cam at the crank, I think jimmy six was mentioning it, never got that info sir!

D
Contributor
Contributor
D
the carter/webers would be too small for that size motor. they are anound 100 cfm each. The holley/webers are more than twice the cfm. Little cubes, little carbs. big cubes, bigger carbs.

daha 47
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
I will check the rating on those, but I am pretty sure that the cfm rating on the carter webers is around 230 cfm, and the holley webers are around 270-290 rated at 3mmhg preasure each, and that the carters are only marginally smaller, can anyone substantiate this for me? I hope they are not 100CFM as I already bought two, wouldnt 100CFM be smaller than 1 barrel carbs????

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 336 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available