Rate Thread
#40983 04/21/08 11:44 PM
N
nogo69 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
N
Hey does anyone on here have a 230 or 250 in a 49-54 chevy?

"FRAGEELEE must be italian"
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I got a -70 Nova 250 w/PG in my ī50 fleetline.

"if your car needs more than 2 hubcaps, it ainīt COOL"
Contributor
Contributor
Funny that you asked. I put a 250 motor off a 70 Camaro on my 1950 Chevy Deluxe car. I will be glad to tell you what a pain in the ass that was. In fact, I'm still in the process of finishing the whole thing. If you do decide to go with the 250 these guys here have been a huge help to me. Let me know what you would like to know.

Thank you for those who take the time to help and provide advice!
A classic car enthusiest!
B
Newcomer
Newcomer
B
Oh boy, just what I wanted to hear. I'm also planning to drop a 250 3 sp. in a 49 Fleetline. What are some of the bigger problems I'll be up against? Regards

Contributor
Contributor
Well, first of all the motor is longer than the 216 and 235. That means the radiator has to be moved forward a couple of inches and you'll have to remove your fill in to the back side of the radiator otherwise your hood will hit on top of it.
Second of all, you'll have to get some custom motor mounts because as you know the 216/235 has front mounts. I put some side mounts from chasis engineering. Another thing is your manual choke will not work with the 250. And you won't need it if you use the stock carb from the 250 motor. The water/temp line will not reach the stock place on the motor either.
This is some of the things you'll run into. One of the biggest one for me right now is my tranny linkage. They won't line up at all. Hope this helps.
Good luck, Alex

Thank you for those who take the time to help and provide advice!
A classic car enthusiest!
B
Newcomer
Newcomer
B
Thanks Alex

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
I just finished installing a 194 in my '53 sedan. I modified the bellhousing to work with the original driveline, made my own motor mounts, and solved the fork angle problem. I will be offering these parts for sale in the near future.
I didn't need to move the radiator forward, however, there is only about 1/2" of daylight between the pump bolts and the radiator. I will need to pull out the radiator if I ever wanted to unbolt the fan blade.
The temp gauge doesn't reach, as noted before. If running an extra gauge isn't to your liking, there are several companies out there that can either change the original to electric or lengthen the tube line. Just google "automotive gauge repair".

I.I. #3174

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available