Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43425 09/08/08 02:45 PM
kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
bought this 65 C10 and I'm having a heck of a time Identifying the motor. I was told its a 250, but I thought the 250 didn't come out until 66.

I pulled some info off the engine and I'm trying to figure out the year and the cubic inches. Basically anything useful so I can keep it alive.

Off the plate near the Distributor.
F0330BN

Near the fallwall
C0N2 0296 or maybe its C0N2 C296

Off the Carb

Intake Manifold

I also found this plate on the Drivers side under the Alternator.

From the Engine I've figured its Built in June 3 of something 3. I'm guessing 1973 unless somebody dropped an older motor in it that it had. I have a screw on oil filter so I'm guessing its newer not older.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
It's a 250 as the motor mounts are not staggerd like a 292 would be. I don't think it's a 230. It could be a replacement motor too.

Raprap
ChoppedChevyCoupe

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Somebody told me to measure the covers on the side and if they measured close to 4-inches then it would be a 230 or a 250. I measured and sure enough the covers appear to be aroud 4 1/4 opposed to 6-inches for a 292.

The motor does have signs of it being taken out with the ground straps disconnected and the rebuild tag on the side of the motor near the alternator. Also with the code near the distributor saying "F0330BN" led me to believe it was a 19*3 of some sort so I just guessed 1973. Heck maybe its a 1983 for all I know.

I'd probably guess its a replacement motor since I don't see a VIN number stamped on the tag near the distributor. I just wanted to figure out if I could what year and what displacement so if I went to rebuild it or tweak with it I could order the right parts unless of course its all in the stroke, cam and crank then I'd guess its all moot anyways.

Im not an engine guy by any means so most of this I'm spouting I'm making up from things I'm starting to gleem from website to website and things people tell me.

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
I BELIEVE that on stock 230s the pistons are flat topped and on 250s they are dished. Pull a spark plug with the cylinder at tdc and you should be able to see.

If this is wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

Inliner #1916
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Hello. March 29th '66 is the date the block was cast. There should also be an 8 digit number cast on the passenger side of the block beginning with a 2 or 3. There's usually a "GM" there too.

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
O
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
O
If it is a '65 and this is the original engine , then it's a 230 ! The 250 wasn't available in ' 65 . It would be difficult to distinguish a 230 from a 250 strictly by the external look of the engine . They , basically , are identical . If it's not original , then you would need the numbers off the engine to be sure what you have .

Last edited by oldblu65; 09/09/08 04:16 AM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Like Bruce said pull the plugs and take a look. And yes you can
tell the difference through the spark plug hole,between a dished
piston and a flat top. dish=s 250 flat top=s 230. IF everything is stock. If the is a 250 and has been rebuilt IT could then have
flat top pistons.Many have done this to get more compreesion.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
 Originally Posted By: strummin67 I.I.
Hello. March 29th '66 is the date the block was cast. There should also be an 8 digit number cast on the passenger side of the block beginning with a 2 or 3. There's usually a "GM" there too.

May I ask how you figured that out? I really want to understand all this stuff, but I know you guys with experience have a secret stash of knowledge. \:\)

Now this casting your talking about is that by the firewall? I see something there, but its super hard to read and I think I would literally have to pull my hood off to get down to it. I'll do it, but I just want to make sure thats the number your speaking of. The one I did find is something like this. C0N2 0296 or maybe its C0N2 C296, but I didn't see a GM stamp near it unless its under the crusty build up.

All the numbers I did find I posted up above in my first post of this thread. I'm super eager to look and relook just so I know what I have.

I did notice by the distributor there wasn't a vin number stamped on that pad near the F0330BN number.

Last edited by kizer; 09/09/08 01:01 PM.
kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
 Originally Posted By: Twisted6 I.I #3220
Like Bruce said pull the plugs and take a look. And yes you can
tell the difference through the spark plug hole,between a dished
piston and a flat top. dish=s 250 flat top=s 230. IF everything is stock. If the is a 250 and has been rebuilt IT could then have
flat top pistons.Many have done this to get more compreesion.

So from that statement its all based off the pistons. I know from what others have said its been rebuilt or done over with that above mentioned tag. If it was me and I could sqeeze a few more ponies out it I would of swapped out the pistons too.

Thanks I'll try and pull a plug and see if I can look down into the hole.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
 Originally Posted By: kizer

May I ask how you figured that out? I really want to understand all this stuff, but I know you guys with experience have a secret stash of knowledge. \:\)

Now this casting your talking about is that by the firewall? I see something there, but its super hard to read and I think I
would literally have to pull my hood off to get down to it. I'll do it, but I just want to make sure thats the number your speaking of. The one I did find is something like this. C0N2 0296 or maybe its C0N2 C296, but I didn't see a GM stamp near it unless its under the crusty build up.

All the numbers I did find I posted up above in my first post of this thread. I'm super eager to look and relook just so I know what I have.

I did notice by the distributor there wasn't a vin number stamped on that pad near the F0330BN number.

A quick breakdown here:
CON2: is the conveyor the block moved along on the assembly line.
C296: C= March, 29= 29th day, 6=1966.

The F0330BN is the code used when the engine is complete and has whatever accessories.
F=Flint, Michigan, 03= March, 30= 30th day, The last two I don't have a listing for. B might indicate a 3 speed transmission. Is that what you have?

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Yes I do have a 3peed column shifter.

Thank you for that help. Would/Could they put a 66 into a 65 at the factory or is more than likely that they pulled the old 65 one out and put in a 66 for some reason? Possibly to install the 250 that it supposed to have that I will verify later?

Did they stamp VIN numbers on the engine back in those days? If so I don't have one anywhere that I can find.

Last edited by kizer; 09/09/08 03:43 PM.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Ok. That's one mystery solved. \:D
The other casting numbers I was referring to are on the block, the same side as the CON2, just closer to the center by the engine mount.

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
If so, a portion of the VIN would've been stamped by the distributor. I know it was done in the '70s and '80s but not sure about the '60s. It's not that way on my Nova.

Unless the engine was replaced under some sort of factory or dealer warranty, I doubt it.

Out on a limb here: You're absolutely certain you have a '65?

Last edited by strummin67 I.I.; 09/09/08 04:17 PM.

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
The Title and the 6 other registrations I found in the glove box all say it is. I even matched the Vin number to the body to make sure when I got it.

The reason Im guessing the motor was pulled was because the ground straps where disconnected and there is a tag that says some engine work was done. I just didn't know if possibly the engine is from another rig because maybe the owner blew the 65 or whatever and dropped in a slightly bigger motor from a 66.

Thats why I was trying to determine the year. Heck could this be a 1976 motor instead of a 1966?

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I never read this anywhere but sometimes the Year / Casting Numbers stuff is more of a guide than 100 percent fact.
Keep working on those other numbers like the carb style and model.
I noticed that is an Unusual Fuel Pump. Maybe that is a clue too.
BTW - Great Job on the pictures.

250 Integrated Head / 1981 C-10 Pick up.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
At this point I'm pretty sure you have a '66 block. What I need is that eight digit casting number right next to the passenger side engine mount. With the exception of the dipstick location, your block looks just like my 194.

Last edited by strummin67 I.I.; 09/09/08 04:57 PM.

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Yeah I'm a photo freak. I take photos of everything I touch. Never know when they might come in handy. I can't wait until I tear my engine apart well OK, I can wait, but I'll have more photos than I probably need. I've been taking some messing with the truck since I got it.
http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp64/links4jeeps_chevy/

Notice on the side I have 01 - 08 which is the order of things I've done/shot.

Thanks for the side shots of your motor. I see where the GM stamp is now. I see it on one of my photos and didn't realize it was down there. I'll get you the info tonight. Figuring your helping and all.

kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
One more thing to ask. In my 65 Chevy Truck Owners Manual it talks about colors of the motor based on Displacement. I think it would be cool to paint the motor based on that. Of course I need to get you the info and pull a plug to make sure it is a 250 if thats what we think it is.

The only reason I bring up the manual is because I found it in the glovebox with some other loose stuff today. I was tickled to see it.

Last edited by kizer; 09/09/08 07:13 PM.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I did some digging for that BN code that I couldn't define. According to this site http://no25.chuckthetruck.com/page3.html
you have a Chevelle 230 block with "exhaust emissions control".

Lots of other good info on the other pages.

Last edited by strummin67 I.I.; 09/09/08 08:49 PM.

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Ok found this on the side.

88771780 well at least I think it is. It was a little difficult to read so if there is nothing I'll try again.

kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
So I possibly have a 66 Chevelle Motor built in 1966 that had some work done on it. Now that work could of included dropping in some 250 pistons.

Man this is getting more interesting every day. I just love it.

Now is a Chevelle block different than a Truck block?

Thank you for all your help. I'll take any and all info anybody throws at me. couldn't hurt.

kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Wow there is lots of information on that site. Thanks for pointing it out. I was wondering whats swappable and there is a section on it which is a real nice thing to know.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
In 43 years anything can happen. \:\)
I don't believe there are any differences for that era. I have an '84 250 block waiting for me to throw money at it before it goes into my wagon. I know I'll need an adapter plate for the missing clutch boss and a custom oil pan. One day...

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Martin
that 84 250 is going into your nova wagon right?? And that block you have is a Non ChevyII block Because like you said it doesn't
have the Z bar Ball boss at the oil pan rail. If your wagon doesn't have Power steering You will not need a custom oil pan.
Just a small dimple will work. Or a knotched pan like i have on my web site.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Hi Larry.
I have the oil pan but don't have the z bar ball boss yet. I know we talked about it but that's all kind of on the back burner for now.

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I just wanted to take the time to thank everybody that gave me a clue to what I have under the hood.

I'm sure I'll tear it apart and do a few performance modifications to it in the future. If not performance I'm sure they will be wallet emptying enhancements just the same.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
You're welcome. One of the cool things about these forums is that tons of people read these every day and can potentially have answers to their questions.

Last edited by strummin67 I.I.; 09/10/08 03:51 PM.

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
kizer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Yep. I run a Jeep website which is my other Hobby and its amazing how much you learn from others questions and others answers.

I learned a bit for now, but I'll be back that's for sure. I have a few ideas and a few questions for those ideas.

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I did some digging for that BN code that I couldn't define. According to this site http://no25.chuckthetruck.com/page3.html
you have a Chevelle 230 block with "exhaust emissions control".

Lots of other good info on the other pages.

Hey Strummin that is a really cool site. Good links on it too.

250 Integrated Head / 1981 C-10 Pick up.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available