Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43539 09/12/08 02:04 PM
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
after drooling over MBHD's e-bay ad for the supercharger again, I still have this question,, I understand (i think), some s.b.c. dampers will go onto an inline,, I thought I read that someone has grooved a sbc damper to eliminate the need for a pulley,, If I didn't imagine that could one be grooved for a serpentine belt,, or is there a sbc damper with no pulley, already grooved,, I thought my 96impala lt1 was that way, but I cant find a picture that close to tell,,in my 65 chevy II there is no clearance for a pulley,I have now a 2 groove balancer that is about 1.5" from the bottom rad tank,,,,the fan is spaced so the blades just miss the belts by 1/2" and the fan 1/2" from the first core,, tight,,

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
I think March Performance,the major serpentine add on supplier, sells a grooved dampner/pulley for SBC. But,I bet it's costly.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Z
Z33 Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Z
LT1s and LS chevys use a serpentine grooved damper. I think a few early LT1s are the same as SBC and I6s but the newer ones are a different size. ATI dampers use a hub system. Their catalog seems to say you can put a serpentine shell on a sbc hub. Fisher Concepts also says you can get a grooved damper. BTW, the marine waterpump for chevy 250s is bidirectional as is the FlowKooler one. Mallory makes a marine altenator that has a bidirectional fan. In theory, if you had a six groove damper you could set up a one belt system like VintageAir, Zoops, March etc.

Z
I too drooled over the supercharger.

Z33 #43556 09/13/08 04:37 AM
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
There used to be someone on ebay selling a ballancer that had the V belt grooves in it, with degree marks, specifically for the Chevy or the Jimmy (can't remember which they claimed). I just looked and didn't find a listing. \:\( Supposedly brand new, made in America for them by one of the name brand speed parts manufacturers.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
Thanks for the info guys, ATI does look like they have an app., but it may be up there in cost,, I looked at a co. called DamperDoctor, they have lots of pictures, it looks like 94-96 350's had 2 serpentine belts per pulley, the 96 and up shows one belt, but it doesn't look like it has a nose,,??is that the cutoff year? will any sbc 96ish and older fit the inline,with the exception of internal balanced engines,,also will I need more ribs than the stock (6) rib belt for a supercaharger,,?? ATI recommended 8-10 ribs,,,, I also see a 4.3 serpentine listed on damperdr. but no picture,, anyone have one to look at??

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
The factory LT1 SBC damper I have is a 2 piece sepentine, and no, it won't work on the older sixes. It is too long, and it has no keyway, and if I remember correctly, the diameters are different.

I.I. #3174
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Not serpentine, but the balancer I was thinking of (just not on Ebay, for now anyway).

BHJ

Hope that helps, someone.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 492 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available