Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43691 09/18/08 11:26 PM
D
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
D
Is there a particular Remote Oil Filter I should be using on my 261?
Brand or Part Number?

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Assuming its a 59-63 block, the stock setup work good. But if you must convert to a spin on setup, http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TRD%2D1045&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Make sure it has 3/4-16 threads for the Ford V8 filter, as these have a bypass built into them. The standard Chevy filter does not. The original 59-63 filter setup has a bypass built into the filter head.

I.I. #3174
gearhead #43705 09/19/08 09:12 AM
D
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
D
gearhead,thanks. I'm assuming ANY filter for a Ford V8 is ok?

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Nearly all Turds used the same filter, MP1 as I recall. If you look at some of the other choices on the Summit site, some of them list a filter part number.

I.I. #3174
gearhead #43711 09/19/08 01:56 PM
Contributor
Contributor
When I decided on a spin-on filter and mount for my 261 last year, I went with the Chevrolet style that has an anti-drainback valve but no bypass valve. The o-ring seal is also larger than the Ford style.

Bypass valves on disposable filters can malfunction and are not always accurate.
I never know if the oil actually gets filtered or is partially or always bypassed.
These valves react to the pressure difference between inlet and outlet and some stay open at higher rpm.
With regular oil changes and quality filters, a bypass valve is never needed.
My 261 has no problem building oil pressure when starting cold, even at freezing temps with SAE 30.
Takes just as long to get up to full pressure, as with my 235 without full flow filter.

My filter is mounted below the generator, where the anti-drainback valve prevents filtered oil from flowing back through and rinsing the dirty filter into the oil pan when shutting off the engine.
It's also useful for horizontally mounted filters, so the filter doesn't get drained after shut-off.

The filter I am using is NAPA Gold (made by Wix) #1060 (Wix# 51060).
NAPA Gold #1072 (Wix# 51072) is a little shorter but otherwise same specs plus bypass valve.
These have 13/16"-16 threads and 3.44" OD gaskets.

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Keep in mind that full flow doesn't mean 100% filtration. Any time you filter something, you are creating a pressure drop. Too much drop, and you will starve whatever is on the other side of the filter. That is what the pressure relief or bypass valve is for. It allows some oil to bypass the filter to prevent starvation.
If the filter is mounted vertically, having an antidrainback in the filter doesn't do anything. On the later sixes is where its needed as the filter is sideways.
I read an article on the 'net about filters awhile back. A guy did his own study on filters and found that the difference in the Napa gold and silver lines wasn't enough to really justify the extra cost of the gold version. I use the silver when I can, otherwise AC. Fram does make a high flow line of filters $$$, all with bypass. I'm using one on my truck, as I had allready bought the Chevy version adapter and didn't feel like buying another one to use the Ferd filter. I think the Chevy one is an HP4. Basically a Ferd filter with the Chevy seal and threads.

I.I. #3174
gearhead #43718 09/19/08 05:32 PM
Contributor
Contributor
A bypass valve on a cheap filter can be an engine life saver.
However quality full flow filters have about 10 gallons per minute of flow with only 1-2 lbs. of pressure drop, while trapping larger particles above 15 microns 100%.
My fresh 261 gets about 40-45 lbs. pressure when driving, using a filter without any bypass valve.
Same pressure when starting cold with SAE 30 straight grade oil, even at very low temps.
These conditions are supposed to restrict filter flow without a bypass valve - Apparently not the case with my 261 and the Wix/NAPA gold 1060.
That filter gives the exact same oil pressure whenever I replace it, as it is when freshly installed.
Personally, I'm not worried about ever clogging up my filters to the extend that a drop in oil pressure could even be measured.
But every engine is different and gets different use, and I understand the potential safety a bypass valve can provide for a modern engine, if it works properly.

Going without bypass valve is just my personal choice, because it's a fresh engine.
I also find the quality and proper function of bypass valves in disposable filters is questionable and rather difficult to verify.

My filter is vertically mounted and lower than the engine oil passages.
I believe when the engine shuts off, at least some oil from the upper passages wants to drain back through the filter and oil pump.
I may be wrong, but if oil indeed drains back, a working anti-drainback valve seems good insurance preventing dirt to flow back into the oil pan. Function of this valve can be verified before and after use.

Too many negative reports about any Fram filters all over the net...
BTW: Fram HP filters are supposed to be used for high performance and race engines only.
A warning on the box says not to install on street engines.
They only trap particles larger than 60 microns at 30 gpm flow and have a very small filter element not lasting very long.
Their 'PH' filters are for street engines.

D
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
D
Thanks everyone. All this info is a learning experience for me. Regarding FRAM HP4/HP8 fiters: I was looking on the FRAM web site and there is currently a recall by FRAM on those type filters. It has to do with the gasket not sealing properly. They have the dates, manufacture numbers and what a consumer needs to do posted.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Contributor
Contributor
Not surprised to hear Fram is recalling at least some of their filters.
I don't trust that brand, as there are just too many warnings posted online.

There are a lot of good test reports and articles online with various brand filters cut open for comparison.
All of those tests give very similar results and help making the right decision.

Something that should also be mentioned after all is said and done:
The early Chevy 6 is extremely durable and what holds true in general for modern engines, is not always the case with these engines.
My 235 has lasted for 30 years so far with just a remote bypass filter and pressure is still up to spec under load.
And one more...
Hard to believe, but a friend of mine once drove a 235 without oil pressure for about 100 miles on the freeway.
Kept driving that engine after fixing the pump and eventually sold the car to a buddy who drove it for 20 more years with annual round-trips to Mexico...
\:D

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 445 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available