Print Thread
Rate Thread
D
Dan D Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Anyone know where I can find a high performance exhaust gasket for a 235/261? I'm running a 261 in a '50 Chevy with Clifford headers and Clifford intake and in less than 80 miles have blown 2 gaskets. Sure would be nice to find a copper gasket but so far no luck.

-Dan

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Check with Larrowe in the 12Port Ad link on the main page. They do sell Clifford too so really not sure if it's better.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Contributor
Contributor
Where are they blowing? Do they fail at the same spot? it seems that there must be some misalignment or warped surfaces. I've driven several 235s and 261s thousands of miles with several different combinations of intake and exhaust manifolds, all with stock GM or aftermarket gaskets, and have never had an exhaust or intake manifold gasket blow. The exhaust manifolds that I have used have been completely stock, split stock, or Corvette six. I've never used Clifford headers. Intake manifolds have been stock, McGurk (which bolts to the exhaust manifold), or Harper (which does not attach to the exhaust manifold).

The Flatout Gasket Co. will make custom gaskets, if there is plenty of money to spend.

Hoyt, Inliner #922
D
Dan D Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
No, first one was a thin standard gasket that blew on the back header. 2nd was a thick gasket that blew (cracked actually) at the front header. I got a very nice callback from Clifford's who agreed that this is a common problem. He recommended new bolts, new washers, soaking the thick gasket in water. I checked Larrowe's and their "Problem Solving Kit" had similar recommendations. If anyone knows of anyone making a high perf gasket, I'd appreciate it but I have a feeling that the best I can find will be the thick gasket that I've already tried.

So, I'll try all the tips I got from Cliffords and hope 3rd time is a charm.

-Dan

Contributor
Contributor
The thicker one-piece gasket material has changed significantly from a few years ago.
The one I got in 2006 was grey and has lasted on my daily 235 ever since without any leaks.
However the one I got for my 261 last year from the same place (Larrowe's) was now white in color but lasted for only a few miles before it developed cracks and leaks around EVERY exhaust port...

Ask for the grey material, if any are left and avoid the new white ones.

I ended up with the standard manifold gaskets set from an original GM NOS 261 gasket kit and it has held up nicely for about 3000 miles now without any leaks.
These original gaskets have a black coating on the metal side and are a little thicker than the new shiney ones available today.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available