Print Thread
Rate Thread
#43307 09/03/08 04:34 AM
N
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
N
I was wondering if anyone knows how much play there should be in the throttle shafts of an Edelbrock 4V carb?

If they are like normal throttle shafts, it should be miniscule, I was wondering if they have a seal or something that would allow running the shafts loose (sloppy loose).

I ask because I was tuning the carb on the Model A (I was checking to make sure the secondries close all the way) and I noticed there was a fair amount of play in the secondary throttle shaft. So I checked the primary and it appears to have the same amount of play. I bought this carb new and it doesn't have that much run time on it (I was checking from the 'passengers' side too so ???).

So I expect it needs bushings, it's out of the warranty period, so I don't expect anything out of Edelbrock, and I'm not where it is, so does someone sell a kit to do this (piloted reamer, bushings, what not)?

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: Nexxussian
I was wondering if anyone knows how much play there should be in the throttle shafts of an Edelbrock 4V carb?

If they are like normal throttle shafts, it should be miniscule, I was wondering if they have a seal or something that would allow running the shafts loose (sloppy loose).

I ask because I was tuning the carb on the Model A (I was checking to make sure the secondries close all the way) and I noticed there was a fair amount of play in the secondary throttle shaft. So I checked the primary and it appears to have the same amount of play. I bought this carb new and it doesn't have that much run time on it (I was checking from the 'passengers' side too so ???).

So I expect it needs bushings, it's out of the warranty period, so I don't expect anything out of Edelbrock, and I'm not where it is, so does someone sell a kit to do this (piloted reamer, bushings, what not)?
I would contact Edelbrock Tech, just to see if this has been an issue they would be willing to discuss! Also, you might spray choke cleaner around the shafts to see if any change in idle appears, indicating a vacuum leak, much like you would an intake gasket or base plate. You might have to be the "Lone Ranger" if you do indeed need to bush the shafts, and find a generic bushing that will fit the ID and OD accordingly.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
It also might be easier to locate a base plate as a replacement.
Check with your local speed shop for help.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
N
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
N
I haven't been tinkering on that one lately (I'm not where it is and Pops and I have a different project at the moment that has 'priority').

I plan on calling the Edelbrock Tech line about this, I'll let you all know about it when (if) I get a difinative answer.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 358 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available