Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
73super Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I have an opportunity to pickup a Chevy 250 and powerglide in great condition for a good price. Good upgrade for my '49 Chevy Sedan? I'm in need of a motor. Also... best rearend/ratio for highway use?

Thanks!

Butch W.
'49 Chevy Sedan (stock)
'55 Buick Special
'65 Rambler Classic
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
I would say that if the car doesn't have an engine at all then it would be a great upgrade! \:\) but seriously, the 250 was mass produced so there are alot of parts readily available for it. I like them the best but that's just me, depends what you want to do though. For highway gears the lower the number, the better mileage you will see on the freeway. I think mine are 2.73 or something in that neighborhood.

76 Chevy Stepside with a '68 230ci
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
I'd say it would be a great upgrade if both the engine and trans are in good condition.

It should be able to use a 3.08 rear end without issues and would get reasonable gas mileage while still being able to cruise at freeway speeds for hours on end.

Those of us who have run the 194,230 or 250 engines will tell you that they are dead on reliable. The 250 in my 48 pickup had over 200 thousand miles on it when I quit driving it and as far as I know has never had the head off.

1948 Chev pickup.
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I think the 250 was the only engine enginefactorys could deliver to Checkers Yellow Cabs, that was garanteed to live in 100.000 miles.......ITS RELIABLE!

"if your car needs more than 2 hubcaps, it ainīt COOL"

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 364 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available