#42130 06/24/08 01:52 PM
B
bees Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Hi!

Please excuse me for my poor english, I'm Dutch...... ;-)

I drive a 1978 Chevy K5 Blazer 2WD with a 250 cid L6.
Recently I got an offer to buy a 1990(?) 292....
I already figured out that my Exhaust manifold (which is custom made, stainless steel) will fit the 292...
Am I going to have problems fitting this 292 in my K5 2wd?
(Transmission, stock ? Engine mounting brackets(?))
And is there a nice online shop where to buy some "performance" parts? Normaly I buy my parts at LMC -trucks.
But I would like to buy some "bolt on" performance parts for the 292 or if that isn't going to fit for my 250...
Can I buy complete engine rebuild kits for a 250 or 292 online?

a lot of people are trying to talk me into a v8 but almost all USA cars here in the Netherlands are equipped with V8's....

I'd like to have something special, so i stick to my L6 ;-)
And I would really like to have something very special... (a "high" performance L6)

Here you can see my project, (all dutch , sorry..) lots of pictures. http://www.blazerbees.com

If there are any Dutch (speaking/reading)Chevy truck drivers at this forum, please visit http://www.chevytrucks.nl and join!

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Wellkomm, Bruder Bees!

Your English is better than our Nederlandisch!

Several people who frequent this forum know the all the distinctions between a 250 and a 292 by heart. You can search on "250 292" and find a lot of useful material.

For information about a "high performance" 292 your basic source is Leo Santucci's book, but there are many people reading and writing here who have been there and done that and are living to tell about it.

We are all glad to see you keep that Blazer Inline.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
292 is 1 3/4" taller that the 194/230/250.
The passenger side mount is in a different spot (moved forward).
The 'bolt-ons' from the 250 should work with the 292.
You may need to modify your exhaust pipes since the 292 is taller.

http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/
http://cliffordperformance.net/
http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Inline-Six-Cylinder-Power-Manual/dp/1931128154

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
"PAW performance" should have reasonable rebuild kits.

Any popular camshaft company will have a cam available.

Search "offenhauser" (jcwhitney) for an intake manifold alternative other than what clifford performance offers.

Youll probably find everything youd want on ebay, finding someone willing to ship might be the biggest hurdle.

Last edited by inline300; 06/25/08 07:47 AM.
B
bees Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Hi y'all...

Thanks for the quick and helpfull replies...
The book by Leo is already on it's way, should arrive in a few days. I'll keep you guys posted if and when I'm going to rebuild and swap to the 292

Kind regards,

Bas

B
bees Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Hi there!

I made up my mind ;-)

This is my plan:
(for now no 292ci stick to the 250)

First upgrade/replace my old HEI with a Mallory Unilite,ignition coil etc.

Second, a clifford intake manifold wich fits a quad barrel throttle body, with a impco LPG mixer.

thirth, remove the old fan and replace it with an electrical.

4th, if there's still a budget left, and if i can find it. An underdrive alu pulley kit. Anyone knows a brand or shop? Tips appreciated:)

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
My thoughts,,,

HEI is a perfectly good system to use,just make sure the components are up to snuff.

Second,the Clifford intake runners are too big,especially in a truck (no low end or mid range power)

Offy is a better choice IMO.

A good working clutch fan will give you the most hassle free miles & will usually cool better than most electric fan set-ups,unless,you configure your entire cooling system to run an electric fan.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
i agree with hank on most parts.
stick with the tried and true HEI. rebuild it if nessecary.
find a offenhouser intake
here is where i differ. get a really good quality (oem type) electric fan. set it up with a thermostat in the radiator. it will save you power. yes a mech fan can cool more but i have found that the elec fans keep up just fine, while freeing up HP. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I agree on the electric fan for more HP.

But,unless you get a good electric fan,most of those aftermarket fans are not a good choice,neither is a 4 core brass radiator w/an electric fan.
Two core or two row radiator is a better way to go.

You need to match your radiator to a good fan & shroud for the cooling system to work properly.

I was stating for a low maintenance set-up ,a clutch fan will use less HP than a direct drive fan,& basically hassle free.

With an aftermarket or even OEM fans will suck many amps & if your alternator is not up to it,it will fail & have a shorter life span.
Two cents thrown.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
V
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
V
A nylon flex fan is also an option, less drag on engine, and very light. they have tons of pulleys underdrive etc etc on ebay for older engines even.

What I was going to do in my car 66 bicayne with 250 L6 is find a huge radiator out of a van or truck that fits in there with some modifications then it would have so much cooling capacity that I colud probably get by without any fan at all. No stop and go city driving here so I am most of the time moving and it dont get very hot here.

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
FWIW I have 2 SPAL curved blade fans on a Howe dirt track radiator in our Anglia. It will cool the engine without the fans @ approximately 16 MPH (although I am more comforatble @20). The radiator is rated (by Howe) for 750 HP IIRC. I haven't ever had a problem cooling our bent 6 (Factory rated @210 HP).

I bought the Howe for 2 reasons (well, I had heard good things of them too, call that a 3rd) 1 cost effective cooling capacity (just under $200 at the time) 2 no epoxy. We had to convert it from cross flow to down flow, we knew that would require welding. That meant we couldn't have epoxy anywhere on it (as far as I'm concerned anyway).

The Spal fans don't seem to draw as many amps and they are quieter than most. I have not had a problem cooling even in pardes with them (except when the electronic fan controller puked, make sure to have an overide switch so you can turn it/them on if the controller fails).

Your Biscayne should be able to use a radiator like I did, but you should be able to use the cross flow for a cross flow (go figgure)

Perhaps one of these:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...15&autoview=sku

There are other part numbers in various sizes and inlet / outlet configurations, that's just a suggestion. I like your idea of cramming the biggest radiator in that will fit.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
B
bees Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Hi there,

My new HEI is on it's way. The old rotor was damaged and the mechanical and vacuum advance were completely stuck. Plus I need a hotter spark since I use LPG.

I was thinking of rigging up something like this:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/Shendor/gabriel%20pick-up/gabriel_PB090053.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p178/Shendor/gabriel%20pick-up/gabriel_PB090049.jpg

those come off a volvo s40.

About the Offy intake. Does it fit my engine? At the summit site it says will nog fit 1974 and later chevy L6. Somehow I don't believe that because the Clifford fit's all.

About the underdrive pulleys well, better be safe than sorry so I skip those.
I'll start a search now for a alu pulley kit with the correct dimensions.

thanks for you quick reply!

I'll keep you posted ;-)

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: Vman
A nylon flex fan is also an option, less drag on engine, and very light.

I remember Car Craft? had a test on different flex fans,stainless flex,fixed pitch,clutch fans ,etc.

I remember the nylon flex fan robbed the most HP out of all of them (by a large amount)& the clutch fan was the same HP as not running any fan.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
V
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
V
Well that certianly is good to know, thanks for correcting me. Did they say anything about electric fans?

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
With an electric fan,do some research & talk with people for what works & what does not work.

I recommend some type of factory fan that has a built in shroud that will fit your radiator.
I do think it is a wise thing to run some sort of fan shroud,the factories do for a reason also.

Maybe some SPAL fans might be good??? I use two small SPAL fans on my factory radiator for my air to water intercooler. Syclone pick-up.

I also installed a Spal fan on my turbo Jetta's air to air intercooler.

There are many choices out there & I am going to go w/an electric fan set-up w/a shroud & aluminum radiator for my Camaro.

I just want to make the right choice the first time & forget about it.
So when I get more time I will do some research myself.

I have used some Hayden fans & factory Camaro V-6 electric fan but no shroud. Factory rebuilt 3 row BBC radiator.

Ran hot all the time 205 F & they killed a couple of my alternators ,they pulled about 40 AMPS IIRC

It was just a cheap install that was not thought out well.
I also used an aluminum GMB water pump. Maybe that was the problem????

Goodluck on your research & let us know what you come up with.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
You might also try looking at Summit Racing for underdrive pulleys. They sell them for just about everything. http://www.summitracing.com is the website

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
 Originally Posted By: Vman
Well that certianly is good to know, thanks for correcting me. Did they say anything about electric fans?

I am sure they have tested electric fans also,& for sure you will save some power by switching to an electric fan & possibly better on fuel usage.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available