Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#45859 12/07/08 08:40 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hey guys new to the board, just wanted to say hey. I have a 1952 Pontiac chieftain that I am in the midst of redoing. I have come to the rebuild of the motor and have hit a snag. I have the manual and it only seems to cover the manual transmission, my question is how does the motor and tranny separate? I see the drain plug on the converter and the 50 or so bolts on the flex plate. Is this where they separate? Hope this is the right section to post! I did not see a intro thread.

Last edited by 52poncho8; 12/08/08 12:30 AM.
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Welcome
IF I remember right there is 30 some bolts that hold the convertor to the flywheel and when you take them out you will have just opened up the convertor as the flywheel serves as the front of it so drain all of the fluid before un bolting, there is a small drain plug in the convertor. Also the hydro is a very heavy transmission use a good jack on a solid surface to prevent accidents like a crushed body part.
have fun but be careful.

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Poncho, I have a Caddy tranny in my shop and the 331 I separated it from it from. If it would help you I could take some pictures so you could see how the look when they are apart. It seems to me the though part would be getting it back together with out scratching the mating surface and causing leaks. There was a thin gasket between the parts.

Nice car!

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Yes it has a paper gasket, scratching the surfaces is not a major problem. When I was a lot younger two of us used to change a B&M Hydro in the pits without a jack, but I would not recomend it to anyone. We also could pick up a 327 engine and load it in the truck. Now I couldn't lift either one. As I said above becareful ths is a heavy transmission.

Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
big bill- Thanks for the info! i was pretty sure thats how it came apart i just wanted to be 100% there is not a whole lot of parts around for them. I did find the drain plug. And i have already pulled the engine and trans so they are on the ground, only busted knuckles!

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Beater- That would be great. Thanks for the compliment on the car! I also have a 60 ford falcon tudor i am building with a 170 six. My wife and i kinda have a thing for the inlines.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'll take the pictures in the morning and get them posted for you. It is great that you are not talking 350-350. My uncle had a '52 light green Pontiac convertible with a dark green top and interior. It was lowered and had skirts white walls and duel exhaust. That was a pretty car! He traded it in on a red '56 convertible with a black top. Nice but less class! How big is that engine?
Those little Falcons are cool too!

Man, now we have an Idea of how big BIg Bill is! \:o

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Beater the engine is just under 8ft from the front pulley to the tip of the tranny! I had to buy a special engine stand 2000lbs capacity.

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Beater
I am just a runt 6'6" 320lb. used to be muscle now that I am older (on Social Security) a lot of it has turned to fat. But still not bad for a fat old man.:)

Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Big Bill remember when we meet I'm on your side. Especially when you start throwing those small blocks around! \:o

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Poncho. Here are some pics. Hope they help.

Hydro

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I have been in Bill's Garage. Nice garage with lot's of cool stuff. Last Summer my buddy Ron and I came to see Bill and do a local car cruise near him. I believe Bill could still haul a couple Inline six's under each arm if he had too. At the least, the little Nissan 4 Banger in one hand!
A great guy, cool Plymouth and Roadster and knows all the tricks of the trade.

RapRap
1940 ChoppedChevyCoupe

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Bill do be of good size, make no mistake about it. Yet, in my observation, he is a gentle man, kind to the foolish and patient with the erring. It would be foolish to challenge him, even in his dotage, and an error indeed.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Nice lookin' project you have there.

Intros generally go in the 'bench racing' section (since you mentioned you didn't see a place for them).

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Beater- Thanks for the pics that was exactly what i needed to see! I now understand the way it works.

Nexxussian- Thanks for the compliments.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Glad to help! Keep us posted on how things are going. \:\)

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Well thanks to you guys i got her apart!

Damn that's a lot of bolts! I'll keep the pics going as i tear into her. If anyone cares.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I care. \:D No really! \:\) I just like to see someone get something done.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
 Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
I care. \:D No really! \:\) I just like to see someone get something done.

I know you do beater! Might just be me and you on this thread. Those pics really helped made me less nervous!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I always wanted to make a finned billet aluminum head for one of them, and other stuff! Keep the pics coming, I like'em too!

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Evrybody likes pictures.

Glad you're making progress.

X
Contributor
Contributor
X
Yes!...keep them coming.. Fun to see someone working on something I haven't seen before. I wonder what they were thinking with all those bolts?

Paul...aka Xerxes

Xerxes #46019 12/13/08 11:26 AM
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Paul
There is no front on the convertor, it seals against the flywheel so it needs the bolts to make the high pressure seal.

Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
 Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude
I always wanted to make a finned billet aluminum head for one of them, and other stuff! Keep the pics coming, I like'em too!

I have searched and searched for any old hop up parts to no avail! That would be cool in both senses not only looks but heat dissipation. Probably expensive!! The sixes seem to get all the hop up parts and they leave us eight guys out in the dark.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks guys it's kind of giving some drive to make progress! If you talk to my wife i lack that element when comes to rebuilding. This is her pride and joy that i tore apart a little over two years ago \:\( needless to say shes not to happy with me. Its nice to have people who understand why i am rebuilding it! Mostly i get why don't you just put a small block in it

X
Contributor
Contributor
X
 Originally Posted By: big bill I.I.#4698
Paul
There is no front on the convertor, it seals against the flywheel so it needs the bolts to make the high pressure seal.

Ah HA!... thanks big bill

Paul...aka Xerxes

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: 52poncho8
This is her pride and joy that i tore apart a little over two years ago \:\(

Here's my wife's pride and joy. Try 25+ years. I can't figure out how to get a 302 in it and do that Baja thing! \:D P&J
You see, You stumbled on to the best bunch of guys on the internet. Even when we disagree we're nice to each other. Well sorta! I bet Scott could CNC you a two piece head for your 8 by dinner time! I wonder if Edumunds made stuff for that?

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I've looked beater and i cant find anything! He may be able to but i doubt id be able to afford it.

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
HEY PONCHO!!! Keep posting imfo. and pictures! Great, your not doing 350"- 350 thing. I am a motivator,SLOW doer but great motivator! 1OL REDNECK I.I.#113

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
P
Contributor
Contributor
P
We need to keep watching ebay for {or with} you. Not to long ago there was a 2-2 barrel EDMUNDS for a 8 poncho. If I remember owner thiught it was very valuable & was probally correct, but I don't think it got any bids. What are you doing reading this, GET IN the garage and keep the little lady happy! 1 OL REDNECK I.I. #113

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
 Originally Posted By: popper6
We need to keep watching ebay for {or with} you. Not to long ago there was a 2-2 barrel EDMUNDS for a 8 poncho. If I remember owner thiught it was very valuable & was probally correct, but I don't think it got any bids. What are you doing reading this, GET IN the garage and keep the little lady happy! 1 OL REDNECK I.I. #113

That would have been awesome! OK OK I am on my to the garage!! More pics latter.

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
I was just on ebay rat rod, theres a engine on there that has a high compression head on it. Does yours? Was you aware GM made one. EBAY item #270302653421. 1OL REDNECK I.I.#113

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Yes mine has the high compression head.

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Are you going to split your exaust manifold? 1 OL REDNECK I.I.#113

DARRELL KRAFT I.I.#113
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I want to build my own header. And intake manifold.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
OK update. I got it all apart finally, required a very rubber mallet! It will go on the stand Sunday. My goal for this motor is a reliable daily driver, I don't want to get to radical. I want to be able to jump in it and drive to Vegas or nor cal if i want. I wouldn't even do the manifolds except for the fact that i am tired of vapor lock!

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
 Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
 Originally Posted By: 52poncho8
This is her pride and joy that i tore apart a little over two years ago \:\(

Here's my wife's pride and joy. Try 25+ years. I can't figure out how to get a 302 in it and do that Baja thing! \:D P&J
You see, You stumbled on to the best bunch of guys on the internet. Even when we disagree we're nice to each other. Well sorta! I bet Scott could CNC you a two piece head for your 8 by dinner time! I wonder if Edumunds made stuff for that?

Hey beater do you mean 302 ford v8? I saw a guy put a mazada rotary turbo in a Porsche! It was crazy fast !!!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Naw, I was thinking of a big ol' Jimmy hanging out the back! \:D My wife would object, probably with a .45! \:o

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Nahh, you just need a 914 / 916 and tell her the new 'armrest' is a safety partition.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
We'll i got a lot done today! Tore the whole thing down except the oil pan and timing cover, didn't have the right puller for the balancer. Only two broken bolts \:o guess they didn't have anti seize 56 years ago!

Oh and the license plate is not mine. We bought it from my wife's sister and have not changed them yet. Just beating you guys to it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 496 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available