Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#46408 12/29/08 04:55 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hello new guy here. My name is Erik and i live in Norway. Here is some pics of my 1963 Chevy2 Nova. The engine is a 250 cui with Accel DFI and a T76q turbo, running E85. Looking forward to browsing this forum for some good inliner info.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
There was just some interest in another post about not having enough room to mount a turbo in a Chevy II, so im sure your pics of this will be helpful as well! Welcome to Inliners, and hope you enjoy the discussions....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That is a very clean set up! How does it run? I'm involved in a 292 turbo project and I hope it turns out looking that good!

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Nice work Erik,
Details please on your turbo set-up.
Has it been to a track,dynoed,raced,etc,etc.
How much boost you are running?
Automatic trans, what kind,manual trans,what kind,what stall on converter if applicable? & so-on.

For the early Novas,
I was saying we could possibly use the SPA turbo exhaust manifold & use an adaptor pipe to locate the turbo where it will fit like in the position where your T76Q turbo sits.

BTW, what are the specs on your turbo?
turbine wheel is a Q ,w/a A/R turbine housing of????

Anymore pics of your build,pistons,compression,clyinder heads mods,if any,,, etc,etc.

BTW, I like the 194 sticker,sleeper, a guy that thinks the way I do????

Thanks
Rick

Originally Posted By: Bosanova

12 port SDS EFI
Contributor
Contributor
Erik,
Is that head one where the intake is part of the head ?
Does anyone know on those heads if the intake is divided ?

Harry

Turbo-6
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Nice job Erik. Looks very Sweet& Clean. Great for a stock hood sleeper look. \:\) Harry Thats not a intergrated head. Look at the bolts in the photo. You can see that it is a two peice.At least it looks that way to me. And I told you there was room in front of the shock tower hehe.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
slick, what does she run

F
Contributor
Contributor
F
Erik, awesome job,, more info please,,,what throttle body, is there one injector per runner tapped into the stock manifold???,
I'm assuming that's the fuel rail running along the valve cover,,,

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks for the kind words! As for now the dyno figures stand at 530 hp@5300 and 588 lbs@4000rpms at the flywheel, with 21psi boost and E85.
A/R is 1.15, full boost is at 3000rpms in fourth gear on the highway. I must say it pulls very good in a car this light. Gearbox is a M20 manual with 2.73 in the rear. No 1/4 times yet.

The engine is basically stock LOL. Well not completely stock
Mild porting on the head 1.94, 1.6 valves, no lump or removed divider. Ported stock intake with bungs welded on it, throttle body is from a Ford 4.6 V8. Fuel supply is by six 120lbs injectors. Forged 307 pistons STD bore , stock rods, stock rockers, stock pushrods,stock oilpump, GM duramoly rings.ARP on rods and head, 1025 head gasket.
Compression is around 8:1, cranking pressure are 120psi with a crane 204-216@50 camshaft. Its actually a hyd camshaft but i run mech lifters on it(very small lash) the valve springs and retainers are GM L31 parts.(leftovers)i rev it to 6300rpms.

The exhaust is the stock manifold that i welded a T4 flange on and did some porting on, wastegate is from Audi. Downpipe is 3" with one straight through
muffler. Thats about it. The goal now is to make as much power with this basic configuraton as possible, and then build an all out engine later. Here is some pics of the build.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Erick,
again,, nice work!
Just wondering if you knew what your injector duty cycle was at when you dynoed the engine @ 530 hp?
120 Lb injectors are pretty big,how does it idle ,good?

Your turbo, non ballbearing?

Also wondering if you can get to full boost in first & second gear?
Your A/R 1.15 housing seems pretty big for any low RPM power,yes,no?
Just me thinking out loud. :-)

The turbo has a water cooled center section?

Glad to see another turbo inliner here that can give us details & share their findings & knowledge.

Any plans on intercooling?

Two thumbs up!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
That's amazing.

E85 must be nice (not really avialable in this part of the US, didn't know it was available in Norway either).

Very well sorted looking piece.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
 Quote:
530 hp@5300 and 588 lbs@4000rpms

seems to be a discrepancy if I convert the hp/rpm to tq or if I convert tq/rpm to hp, any chance one of your figures is off?

still impressive.

thanks

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Dude you are my new hero
I have a 68 Chevelle wich came with a 250.

I pulled the 250 out and installed a GN engine in the car. Now I need to rebuild the 3.8 and have been thinking about going in another direction which was to put a turbo on the 250 or a SBC.
Anyway. Your set up is AWESOME dude.
I have a few questions.
1- Would you make an exhaust and intake manifold for me?
2- How do you think it would run on 93 octane, intercooler and Akly?
3-How much did the complete project $$$$ run you?

Last edited by Dave68; 01/07/09 03:26 PM.

AKA-Turbopowered68
1968 Chevelle Turbo 3.8
11.74 @ 114
1987 Regal Turbo 3.8
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Spa make a turbo exhaust manifold & tlowe sells them here or on Ebay.
His intake & exhaust are stock original pieces that are modified I believe.
You can run a larger 3 bolt truck exhaust manifold & connect a pipe along w/tubing to position the turbo where ever you like.

With a mild tune on alky & 93 octane,you should be able to make 350-500 HP depending on all of your supporting mods pretty easy,& this would not a max effort engine..

MBHD

Originally Posted By: Dave68
Dude you are my new hero

I pulled the 250 out and installed a GN engine in the car. Now I need to rebuild the 3.8 and have been thinking about going in another direction which was to put a turbo on the 250 or a SBC.
I have a few questions.

12 port SDS EFI
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
I looked all over the net for SPA and couldn't find them, Can you post a link?
What year and model truck for that manifold?
My goal is to go 11.50s on a daily driver; could it be done with a Turboed 250?
Do you have a write up on your car? (in your sig.)
thanks
David

Originally Posted By: Mean buzzen half dozen A.K.A. Hank
You can run a larger 3 bolt truck exhaust manifold & connect a pipe along w/tubing to position the turbo where ever you like.

With a mild tune on alky & 93 octane,you should be able to make 350-500 HP depending on all of your supporting mods pretty easy,& this would not a max effort engine..

MBHD

AKA-Turbopowered68
1968 Chevelle Turbo 3.8
11.74 @ 114
1987 Regal Turbo 3.8
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Here is one also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPA-Turbo...emZ320164001492

They are $120 if you can get them from Brazil.
Guys,,,,chime in here on what year truck manifold has the larger exit.

If you have everything set-up nicely & run sticky tires on a daily driver & does not weight too much, 11's can be achieved.

No write up on my car,it's a work in progress,a slow progress ;-)

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Thanks for the link
Do you know who makes that intake manifold? That thing is bada$$
Sorry for all of the questions but to me this is a new thing with the 250 engines. About 8 years ago I looked for any type of info on these engines and found nothing and now this WOW.
Thanks.
David

Here is one also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPA-Turbo...emZ320164001492

They are $120 if you can get them from Brazil.

Guys,,,,chime in here on what year truck manifold has the larger exit.

If you have everything set-up nicely & run sticky tires on a daily driver & does not weight too much, 11's can be achieved.

No write up on my car,it's a work in progress,a slow progress ;-)

MBHD

AKA-Turbopowered68
1968 Chevelle Turbo 3.8
11.74 @ 114
1987 Regal Turbo 3.8
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
I have two of the 2.5" truck manifolds. One came from a early '70s truck, the other was a new replacement I got off e-bay. I bought the replacement to create a split manifold for my '37 and it may be usefull in a turbo application for the same reasons I bought it. The exhaust outlet sits under cylinder #s 4&5 instead of under the carb flange, and it points pretty much straight down. There is a big flat area under the # 2&3 cylinders that allowed me to build a symetrical split manifold. The 292 manifold besides having the rearward sited outlet, is flat under the carbflange going forward until under the 2-3 cylinders, and it has reinforcement "fins" front and rear.

Having the outlet under 4&5 gives more distance to wrangle the exhaust pipe and the straight down, rather than pointed rearward, doesn't hurt either if you are using one for a turbo placed as in the photos above in this thread.

'37 Master Deluxe 2dr sedan
'66 Elcamino, 250, 3sp OD
http://greybeard.shutterfly.com/
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
dave68,
the pic's on ebay are of my motor in my 65 elcamino. i built it from the ground up. i sell the SPA manifolds and cheaper than that guy on ebay. if interested in a manifold PM me. for tech stuff , ask away. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Greybeard,,,
could you possibly post a picture of the truck exhaust manifold?
I do not think anyone has done that..

MBHD

Originally Posted By: Greybeard
I have two of the 2.5" truck manifolds. One came from a early '70s truck, the other was a new replacement I got off e-bay. I bought the replacement to create a split manifold for my '37 and it may be usefull in a turbo application for the same reasons I bought it. The exhaust outlet sits under cylinder #s 4&5 instead of under the carb flange, and it points pretty much straight down. There is a big flat area under the # 2&3 cylinders that allowed me to build a symetrical split manifold. The 292 manifold besides having the rearward sited outlet, is flat under the carbflange going forward until under the 2-3 cylinders, and it has reinforcement "fins" front and rear.

Having the outlet under 4&5 gives more distance to wrangle the exhaust pipe and the straight down, rather than pointed rearward, doesn't hurt either if you are using one for a turbo placed as in the photos above in this thread.

12 port SDS EFI
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
David,
I am pretty sure the intake manifold is a stock cast iron piece that has been machined flat where the carb sits & then drilled & tapped for 4 bolts or studs, @ least that is how it appears to me.

MBHD

[quote=Dave68]Do you know who makes that intake manifold? That thing is bada$$
Thanks.
David

12 port SDS EFI
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
 Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
dave68,
the pic's on ebay are of my motor in my 65 elcamino. i built it from the ground up. i sell the SPA manifolds and cheaper than that guy on ebay. if interested in a manifold PM me. for tech stuff , ask away. tom

Are you on the TC site and go by the same name?
My name over there is Turbopowered68 I tried getting the same name here but I screwed something up along the way.
Anyway I would like to do something like this on my Chevelle.
Right now I have an 87 GN engine in it and the Turbo just took a dump plus the engine could use a rebuild. So because of this I have been thinking about going with a deferent set up.
I still have the OE 250 that came in the car and I think this would be a real cool set up if I can get similar results to the GN set up and if it doesn’t cost much more then my current set up.

How strong are the 250 blocks?
Could I use the OE Crank?
Could I use the OE Rods?
Do they make a roller Cam for this engine?
Like I said I am looking to dip into the 11.50s and still have a good DD that gets allot of miles and long trips.
Thanks for you help.
David

AKA-Turbopowered68
1968 Chevelle Turbo 3.8
11.74 @ 114
1987 Regal Turbo 3.8
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
[/quote]

Could I use the OE Crank?
Could I use the OE Rods?
Do they make a roller Cam for this engine?

[/quote] These blocks seem to be pretty stout even when using forced induction. The stock cranks can be used as well. You can use the stock rods up to a point, but there are 6" H-beam rods available that are application specific just for the 250, and are very reasonably priced. Roller cams are available for these engines, but the cores are hard for some cam companies to get from time to time, and are kinda' pricey. But those type of components are out there, and your goal of performance should be fairly easy to obtain....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Quote"
Could I use the OE Crank?"

With about 1000 HP,it seems these engines will stay together, with stock crank & maincaps.

Guys in Brazil with there turbocharged 250's are making up to 1400 HP with stock cranks ,stock main caps,no girdle.
With 1/4 mile times of 8.2 ,that is the record for a car.IIRC.

That is about the limit it seems for stock items.
Just know that @ these power levels,the cranks do walk around & they do eventually break. Not bad for stock components though,,right?

Now this information I am telling is what I have been told from friends in Brazil.
But,,, I have seen the videos on the record setting Dyno HP & 1/4 runs.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hello.
I have been away from the computer so im a litte late on the answers.
Idle is good with the 120lbs injectors, duty cycle at idle is 2%.
Duty cycle is around 70% at full throttle. I will make a intercooler for it in the spring, not decided on A/A or A/W yet.
According to the logs i dont get full boost in 1 gear,2nd gear yes full boost. Regular bearing turbo.
The intake is a stock intake i bored out to 3" and filled in and contured the entry with high temp epoxy.Then milled it flat and added a elbow from a ford 4.6.
Power on pump gasoline is 400hp @ 13 psi.

E
Edy Offline
Contributor
Contributor
E
i've been away from while...

here in Brazil is not uncommon to see 700-800 HP on wheels. no girdle, stock crank, just arp studs, forjed rods and pistons.

There was a chevy 250 twin turbo that made 1200HP and i think 8.5s on 1/4 mile.

I have a project to build a 1000HP - 200HP on nitro progress, i will use a girdle and a 4340 crank, i wont run 1/4 mile runs. but 3 kms top speed/acceleration runs! i think a stock crank will not hold! :-p

Edy

E
Edy Offline
Contributor
Contributor
E
just to put water in your mouth...

http://www.engineracing.com.br/pecasnacionais.html

just click on "MAIS DETALHES" to see a bigger picture

edy

MBHD

Originally Posted By: Dave68
Dude you are my new hero

I have a few questions.

Contributor
Contributor
Love Seeing my Dream Come true before me. Turbo and F.I. in a First Gen Chevy II=makes for one bad little motor in one awesome little car.

I also have a First Gen Chevy II with a 250 sitting on an engine stand next to it. I have been wanting to pull off turbo-charging for a long time.

We had a discussion about remote turbos and moving the unit around . But here it Looks like all I might need to ldo is ocate a truck exhaust manifold to move exhaust out down low and then I could easily start assembling this package on my 250.

Did I miss Ignition in your parts build?

Does the Accel DFI work in cooperation with the Distributor and Timing or did you utilize an outside Timing adjustment device to synchronize or retard timing under full load?

Keep going man, you have got the attention of this group....

Last edited by Freds Garage; 02/05/09 06:06 PM. Reason: Ignition

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
64 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
225 /6 w 5speed
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I talked to Tom Langdon about using his cast iron headers for a turbo application,he said nobody he knows has done it & said they should be good for that.

I would rather use his new header castings over a used truck manifold that would be a bit restrictive plus you need to block off the top of the manifold where it boltsa up to the intake manifold for heat.
http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/acartpro/

Just a thought.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Isn't Tlowe selling tubo manifolds for the 292 type six?

I.I. #3174
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
i do, but they do not fit the 62-67 chevyII chassis. I can get them to make a manifold if someone can show me where to put the turbo in the engine bay. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Contributor
Contributor
T.Lowes Brazillian Manifolds wont work with Chevy II (first gen) because of shock tower, but they are fine for other cars, trucks and Elco's.

And yea you are right Hank, Tom Langdons headers would work here (not having to block off a stock type exh manifold), with this turbos set up, they would be great. I would just have to make a Y-pipe right there and route forward to meet the turbo and then plumb out turbo to Carb or (I really like Eriks 4.6 F.I.) Fuel injection. I could mimic Eriks set up from pictures he posted for the most part.

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
225 /6 w 5speed
Contributor
Contributor
Tom, turbo would need to be where Erik placed his. This would be like where the old power steering unit might have gone. Most efficient spot with good access back to carb or f.i. and room below to route out spent gases, right? I think someone measured and sent this to you, I will check.

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
225 /6 w 5speed
Contributor
Contributor
Hey guys maybe this is another Thread but i want to look at the best F.I., for this type of app. Is it the Accell he is using here?

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
225 /6 w 5speed
Newcomer
Newcomer
James,
looking at this very issue with fuel injection on my project. Going to go rummage through some experienced auto parts this weekend and take a look at mopar (jeep) inline port F.I. and, if
I can find one, a throttle body off a 7.5 GM truck. A couple of different ideas are percolating. Working with an Inliner member that races at the lake so he's been helpful. You get to this stage the pocket book has to open some.

Let us know how you intend to develop your F.I. system. Good stuff all.
If it aint broke, you're not trying.

Contributor
Contributor
Having F.I. first before adding a turbo seems to make sense, because of the constant adjustments F.I. makes. I have already heard that flexibilty makes a Turbo application so much easier to tune.

I am going to break my engine in with a Holley 390, get it running and then I will start doing research like yourself.

I think later that if I bought another Offy manifold I could even have it tapped for six injectors and hooked up to whatever modern day system. I am sure there is a way to program that accordingly. Even Clifford sells a fuel inject system but real expensive.

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
225 /6 w 5speed
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Yes i am running Accel Thruster ECU , its kind of a budget minded system. It works good. The ignition is all controlled by the ECU , the distributor is the trigger. I am still running the original Ac Delco coil that came on the car in 1963, thats quality!

PS if you are going to run the langdon headers you could make a puls split system with a divided exhaust housing.

Newcomer
Newcomer
James,
other threads have beeen discussing F.I. and some problems really popped out. Really went to "school" in engine discussion thread. Thank you contributors. My buddy ted says we'll make our own hybrid. Like eric's design, w/throttle butterfly up front, followed by a lead tube with the injectors in two rows on top of it. that section transitions into the intake. plan on using GM system off a 5 liter V-8 and use all 8 injectors. So, a throttle body using port style injectors? It's crazy enough it might work?
later.

F
Contributor
Contributor
F
fuel injected interest keeps me on this,,, I see summit has universal elbows set up for square flange carb setups and uses ford or gm throttle bodies, but that takes me back to the idea of a straight throttle body,, like a salvage 4.3 setup, and painless wiring kit,,will the turbo not work as well on those setups as port injectors,,?

Newcomer
Newcomer
GM throttle bodies are a low pressure affair, 12-15 psi. for fuel. The people who have done this before say one needs to maintain 5 to 6 psi above boost pressure...requiring an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that responds to boost. stands to reason since they were originally a vacuum based system. TBI fuel regulators are integral within the unit. I don't want to go there on my project. Seems like a number of us are dealing with this right now. Good luck. PS.. lots of info on other threads here..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 321 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available