Print Thread
Rate Thread
#460 07/03/03 02:27 AM
P
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
P
I just bought my frist car about a year ago a 1954 packard clipper specail. It has the 288 straight eight and two speed automatic. I was talking to a guy at a car show about a day or two ago and he said you can bolt up a cadilac or oldsmobile hydromatic transmission i was woundering if it was true. Or i am going to be forced to sell my car. Thanks oh and if anyone knows where i can find any Hi Po parts thanks

#461 07/03/03 10:38 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm not sure about the hydramatic question, but Packard used their own tranny called the Ultramatic. I don't know much about them but I don't think anything interchanges. Of course some models may have used hydras too, especially the later models when Packard was struggling to survive.

There was never much speed equipment made for Packards, and today it's a rare find. I saw one finned alloy head at swap meet, priced at $600 and it was about the size of a surfboard. I've seen dual and triple intakes but they were home-built specials. This was the problem with the "orphan" cars, never enough of them around to merit aftermarket speed parts. Especially Packards, which were high-end luxury models. Keep an eye on E-bay, but don't hold your breath.

#462 07/03/03 03:31 PM
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
If I remember correctly Packard made a factory 4 barrel intake starting in the early 1950s.I know a fellow in Napa,Calif.that is a Studebaker/Packard freak that may have some information and parts for the Thunderbolt straight eight engines.I don't have a phone number,but is name is Steve Williams and he lives on Second Street.I met him over 30 years ago,and at the time he had NOS engines and transmissions still packed in crates among many other new and used parts.
EvilDr235

------------------
Two types of people drive old cars.Rich people because they want to and poor people because they have to.
Remember EvilDr235 has a cure for Your sixness.

#463 07/03/03 03:53 PM
N
Contributor
Contributor
N
There is a Packard international motor car club in Santa Ana, Ca. phone # 714-541-8431. There was or is an Packard repair/ restorer in Santa Ana, I'm sure the club can help.
Terry

Terry/Novaconv
I.I. #3948
#464 07/03/03 05:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey PackardMan-

I'm the one who you talked to at the car show. It was very nice meeting you and your dad. Glad you visited our Inliners Website.

I've got a number of a friend of mine in California who will be very helpful finding or knowing someone who can find you performance parts for your Packard. He is a unique type of collector and collects Hudsons, Packards, Kaisers, Nashes, etc. He has Kaisers that are supecharged! I'm not sure, but I believe Packard put a Paxton supercharger on some of their later models.

His name is Mike Simpson. Email-oldradio@attbi.com

Tell him that Bob Malin "RapRap" with the 1940 Chevy Coupe in Wisconsin told you to call him. I've known Mike for over 25 years and he's a great person to ask and deal with. Watch out, he might sell you one of his antique Radios or old cars.

RapRap
1940 Chevy Coupe

#465 07/03/03 07:56 PM
P
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
P
Thanks and your 40 chevy is awesome
Josh

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available