Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I have finally got my engine off the stand and in the car! I need to finish some wiring and install my gauges and fire this thing up. She's mostly a stock rebuilt 250 with an RV cam, Clifford intake & headers, Holley 390, MSD distributor, coil & wires. Lots of polished stainless fasteners, braided lines, powder coating and black paint. This may not be to everybody's taste but I'm very pleased with what I've accomplished. I can't wait for the first car show this spring. In a sea of sbc she will stand out.
I plan on driving her daily. Thanks to all, for everything I have learned here.

The car: 74 Nova hatchback with 2" cowl induction hood, tinted windows, 17" Torq Thrust wheels, Hotchkis springs and KYB shocks all around.

The interior with new carpets, door sills and upholstery. I have an in-dash tach and dashboard pad to go in next.

Engine Before: stock smog one barrel with 100K miles

Engine After:

Aluminum Radiator. Score!

Check the Bow-Tie shroud bolts with the matching radiator cap.

I have an X-pipe and a pair of turbo mufflers to install. The air cleaner and breather will get taped off and have a little black paint applied to carry out the theme. Future plans include a 194 head with Lumps By Larry (Go Larry!)& other goodies... Anybody got a modified head they want to sell? Maybe a gear change and/or tranny swap. Maybe an Edelbrock carb, depending on how this 390 runs...(thanks Nexussian) The main thing is I finally got the thing off the stand and in the car! I had dreams about a blower set-up (sorry guys, but those turbos just aren't very attractive! Though Tom's El Camino is pretty cool...) on her but I'm basically a novice and pleased with what I've done and what I have learned. Thanks again for all the knowledge you have shared (except for the guy who said "some boat engine is missing it's side covers...") I welcome your comments and feedback (even if you do think it looks like a boat engine...) And to think it all started when I was just going to get some headers and I came across this wonderful site. I will post more pics and some youtube footage when I drive her.

Best regards,

Chris
74 Nova 250 TH350 Daily Driver
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I think it looks good!
Like you said,,,,people might not like it for their taste,, but your taste is what counts.

If you can, look into a 2004R trans w/lock-up converter,it should get you some good mileage & great acceleration.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Nice job! I hope mine turns out that well! Shoot, I hope it turns out! \:D

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Looks good to me.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
very nice look! i need to hire you to detail my engine bay. it will turn alot of heads. i'll be waiting for the videos.
here are my requests,
video of it
idling
camera on side of road hearing it cruise by.
and one vid from side while accelerating

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks Guys! I just fired her up. She ran for about three seconds and died. Sounded good though! Leaking from the oil filter. I tightened it to much. Crushed the rubber seal around the lip a bit. I need to get a belt type wrench to loosen it up. Tom, thanks for the video suggestions.

Chris
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
74NovaGuy

That Looks GREAT \:\) besure to put some Old oil on that filter
seal.and hand tighten only!!(sounds like you installed it dry
thats about the only way to mess up a seal)

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Sweet! Very nice detailing.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
One of the last things I did was change the oil filter. In my haste I didn't notice the o-ring from the old oil filter was still attached to the block. Just one more thing I have learned...
Started her up again tonight. No Leaks! Nice! Can't wait to get the exhaust on and take her for a spin!

Chris
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Glad to here is running w/no leaks.

Hope you enjoy it!

Just a side note & not to bash you in intake manifold choices.
(so, dont take this the wrong way)Just my own personal experience.

I ran both a Clifford & Offy intake manifolds w/different carbs in different 250 CI engine combos,low compression,mid & high compression engines.

If you do not have too much compression, I had better driveability & better overall acceleration with a Offy intake.

I like the looks of the Clifford better,but actually won more races w/a Offy intake.

It's all in the combination,but w/a Clifford intake I would suggest nothing under 3000 stall on a torgue converter running a cam w/230 degress duration @ .050..
And that stall is more for a high perf,street use,you can use a low stall, but it matters on your camshaft specs & other things, not just one thing.

Just something to think about if you come across a Offy intake.

Might be a different story w/a 292 engine,but what I know is mostly based on 250 CI combos, in a 3000 - 3400 car.

BTW,what type of exhaust system are you going to run?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Cool nothing sweeter then a Simple fix. Glad to hear no more leaks.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hi Hank,
I bought that Clifford manifold before I found this wonderful site. I knew I wanted a black engine with polished fasteners. I have read many times on past posts that the Offy would be better for my application but by then I was committed to my plan. I expect it's going to perform better than the original 250 with 100K, one barrel and smog and I drove it like that for a year.
Regarding the exhaust, I have a Summit 2-1/4" X-pipe and two Thrush turbo mufflers to install.

Chris
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Of course it will run better than a stocker setup.
But,,,,,,it could be a bit worse on the initial take off,if it is not tuned good???
Your exhaust should sound nice when you get it installed.

MBHD

Originally Posted By: 74NovaGuy
Hi Hank,
I bought that Clifford manifold before I found this wonderful site. I knew I wanted a black engine with polished fasteners. I have read many times on past posts that the Offy would be better for my application but by then I was committed to my plan. I expect it's going to perform better than the original 250 with 100K, one barrel and smog and I drove it like that for a year.
Regarding the exhaust, I have a Summit 2-1/4" X-pipe and two Thrush turbo mufflers to install.

12 port SDS EFI
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Now we have Video. This is just after timing it. When the choke was on we had some nice blue flames but you can't see them in the video \:\(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckXgshPjgY

Chris
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Cool!
a little dark I think?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hank! I get what you're saying now. I drove her uncorked to the muffler shop yesterday. (about 2 miles) I just took it real easy on her. I went back and picked her up today! She sounds Good! The idle is real nice. The low end power is so-so but when she hits about 2500 RPM's the engine changes pitch and she really moves! I was cruising along and I dropped her down into first and wound her up and went through the gears and I got a great big grin on my face!
I'm impressed with how well the Holley 390 is doing straight out of the box. There's room for improvement but I'm pretty happy with her so far. Now I'm thinking about a new torque converter (considering this one is most likely the original) I'll keep you posted. Here's some pictures of the exhaust. 2-1/4" with a summit X-pipe and Thrush Turbo mufflers.

Thanks again to everybody for your tips, comments and compliments!

Chris
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Looks good!
Need a video of the new exhaust sound .
I bet some people will think it's a V-8 with the engine idleing.

Just get it tuned good,maybe even dyno it. Just a thought.

As far as a converter,wait until you get it tuned & dialed in pretty good.

If it still only gets power 2500 ,maybe get a converter of 2500 - 2600 stall (just don't get too loose) if you want some good take off acceleration.

Or borrow a Offy intake & see how you like that,power will probably come in @ 1800- 2000 RPM, I know, I know I already said that,but really the Clifford will work good also,if you match the converter for your engines power range.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Great project Chris. Good work on the exhaust also. Just one observation concerning the exhaust. Is the termination of the exhaust underneath the car, both tubes just in front of the rear axle, temporary or permanent? Is this safe, or legal in most states?

Last edited by Winter; 01/25/09 12:14 PM.
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
That is an awesome looking and sounding Nova. I kinda can't wait to take on my father's 292 project now.

Chickenbone

Contributor
Contributor
NIce job on that engine and exhaust. Glad you kept it a six too.

Love to hear it sometime.

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
64 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
225 /6 w 5speed

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 296 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available