Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#47758 02/10/09 08:06 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hi guys I am slowly putting together a 292 with a GM 2004r in my 56 shortbed pickup. Does anyone know where the take off is for the oil pressure switch I have found a small threaded hole towards the rear of the block on the passenger side is this it? Does anyone know what size it is?
Any help would be much appreciated thanks for helping me stay INLINE...............

.......head out on a highway.......looking for adventure...and whatever comes my way...
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes that is it. and it should be 1/4 pipe thread.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
some of the older engines use 1/8" pipe thread. the newer ones are 1/4" as twisted said. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks guys Ill have a look out for someone to supply an oil pressure switch now. Do you think I will have any problems hooking it up to my existing 56 guages not sure if they are wired differntly, I mean they work fine at the moment with the stock 235 motor.Anythoughts

.......head out on a highway.......looking for adventure...and whatever comes my way...
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Just another thought I think my motor is 67-77.Would you call that early or late?

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Use the sender/switch out of the 235, adapt it if needed. Then everything will work as always.

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Poopy,
Unless I missed something, you should be able to use the oil pressure switch/sending unit from your 235 assuming it is the OEM for that sender/gauge comination. That would certainly be compatible. Pressure is pressure.
Ken

Last edited by El Viejo; 02/10/09 07:16 PM.
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Doh...Thanks guys ill start having a look at what I need to do for an easy swap. Ive got to switch from Dynamo to Alternator too? Ive seen a tech article on this site that explains how to do it ...hope its straight forward !! The 292 has a single wire Alternator fitted so Id like to use it if I can. Has anyone done this?

E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Poop,
Check out Mad Electrical's web site. Among other things they discuss 3 wire VS one-wire alternators. Many useful diagrams.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/onewire-threewire3.shtml
You may want to move this discussion to the electrical BB. :-)
Cheers.
Ken

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks El Viejo. I just checked this out cool information. I never gave these systems a second thought. I have a power steering pump bracket and assembly with my 292 I was planning on upgrading my steering to power at some point. Has anyone used the Classic performance parts kit? They do 2 kits one is power assist and the other is power steering that needs a new steering column etc. As this motor is going into a 56 chevy pick up its "heavy" as is. Id like to keep the stock steering and just do bolt on stuff. Any thoughts?

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Another good site to search for information on your project is stovebolt.com. Most of the projects there are the 46-53 AD Chevy trucks, but there a lot of similar problems involved.

btw the 54-59 trucks are referred to as Task Force on stovebolt.

Larry

Last edited by LGriffin_#4385; 02/12/09 11:52 AM.

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks Larry, Ill check it out, Hoping they do something like this for me,or to hear from anybody that may have carried out this conversion, Took the truck ou Yesterday fora short run sure feels nice now that the colder weather is withdrawing. Dry cool and crisp with sunshine...........Heaven!!

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Something else you might consider is to put a "T" fitting in the block where the original sending unit was screwed into and run both a mechanical oil pressure gauge and the original "idiot light" oil pressure warning light. Use a brass or mild steel T fitting with male threads on the long end and female threads on the two short ends. Screw the long end into the block, then screw the factory sender into one of the female fittings and the connection for the mechanical pressure gauge tubing into the other female threads, then mount your gauge in or under the dash, whichever works better, hook up all the wires, and you're in business. That gives you the best of both worlds, you have both an oil pressure gauge and a warning light. I've done that to all the cars I've owned that didn't come with a factory oil pressure gauge.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available