Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#4825 09/10/04 01:13 PM
59chev Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
I've haven't had my truck running for a couple of years. I've got my truck at the mechanic right now to find out what I need done to pass inspection. It seems there was alot more wrong with the motor than I had thought. The motor had originally been rebuilt, then was parked for years, then I got it. When they got it running they found out that it had 3 stuck valves which resulted in 3 bent push rods. As well the lifters were shot. I had them put in new lifters and 3 new pushrods but now i just got a call telling me that there is no oil getting up to the valves. The motor is a 62 235. Why would there be no oil getting up to the head? What needs to be done to get it fixed?

Thanks,
Clint

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Is the oil pump ok? If it is then most likely the oil feed lines are plugged,maybe from sludge in the crankcase after sitting for 3 years.Even an oil change doesn't remove sludge.Maybe after the rebuild the rebuilder didn't run a brush through the oil feed lines in the block and head and metal shavings from machining were left behind. You need to pull the pan,side cover and head and start cleaning.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
E
Contributor
Contributor
E
Starting about 1958 Chevy quit using the oil feed line under the lifter cover.Your engine should have lifters with a narrow groove around the lifter body that supplies oil to a passage way under the lifter cover.Having the wrong lifters is one thing that stops the flow of oil to the top end.Are you sure it is a 1962 engine? Earlier 235/261 engines with a solid lifter cam may not have have all the lifter holes connected with a hole drilled thru the block front to back.You should at some factory shop manuals.They will have pictures that explain how the oiling system works for your engine.The 235/261 engines went thru alot of changes thru the years.It's just a matter of using the right parts.You need to find out for sure what your engine is,then get a factory shop manual for that year.I have owned many of the 235/261 engines over the years and have have seen alot of them put together wrong.
EvilDr235

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available