Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Well the engines running using the GM crank sensor triggering the MS box running MS extra code. The MS is running the stock COP ignition coils in wasted spark mode.

This is a big jump forward in allowing folks to swap in this motor with out paying a fortune to get the GM electronics tweaked.

In time the software will come to run the VVT.

The only modification required now is to convert to a cable type throttle body. Any one with access to a mill can do this easily in 4 hours.

Cost of a good used 4200 about $600, cost of a prebuilt megasquirt to run the motor $400. Used laptop about $100 if you don't have one. Cost of a used LS1 throttle body $50. So for under $1200 you have a running 4200. Less than $4.50/hp for a 275 hp engine.

Just for giggles some hotrod parts prices for the 250/292....

Cost of an edlebrock carb about $300. Offy intake $280. Header from clifford $390. <<< already at $970 add a cam and lump ports, head work << easy $500. $1500 for maybe 225 HP. Prices are from summit racing for new parts.

I'll post a video later tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5mRJXx-aTw

Last edited by efi-diy; 03/09/09 02:53 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
 Originally Posted By: efi-diy

Cost of a good used 4200 about $600, cost of a prebuilt megasquirt to run the motor $400. Used laptop about $100 if you don't have one. Cost of a used LS1 throttle body $50. So for under $1200 you have a running 4200. Less than $4.50/hp for a 275 hp engine.

If I didn't have pretty much everything for my 292, I'd be considering this. I don't have any idea about how much horsepower I'll have (292, 390 holley, offy intake, stovebolt headers), but I'm sure it won't be 275 I paid $700 for the rebuilt engine, $250 for the offy & 390 and about $300 for the stuff from langdon.

R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
Wow, perfect timing... so I should be able to just pickup a ms2 with the non SMT board and be good to go (pending software you'll have)? I can fab up some harnesses with some nice wire and weatherpack's.

I was getting frustrated with other options being hugely expensive and ms having to have basically entirely new set of sensors. I think I want to buy something fully assembled, I've taken tons of EE classes, but its going to be running a nice motor, might as well make it last.

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Ron,

Get the MS3.00 main board and the MS2 processor. All the stock sensors that are on the motor can be used except the TPS which should come with the cable type LS1 throttle body.

If the motor is stock or near stock I can send you the fuel and spark tables to get you running - you'll need to fine tune them a bit.

If you get the stock fuel/ign harness for the 4200 and make a nice box to land the rest of the harness that doesn't goto the MS box it'll be neat an tidy. Check mouser.com they carry 95% of the delphi connectors! These are basically connections that need a fuse inline e.g. coil packs or injectors on the 12V supply side. 90% of the GM PCM (and most other EFI boxes) outputs use active ground switching meaning to close the circuit e.g. spray fuel, that control output puts the wire to ground via an electronic switch that the PCM/MS controls on/off.

Would be nice if you took picturea and write a story to go along with the pix to help other folks along that may be scared off of the electrons....

The latest MSextra BETA s/w has the fix included for the GM crank trigger. When your ready to connect the MS upto the coils let me know and I'll give you a detailed how to. The MS mainboard needs a few extra parts added to do the job. Cost is under $5 for the parts.

Marc

Last edited by efi-diy; 03/18/09 10:36 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
well I think I am going to do the heads and probably some pistons... as I want to run the turbo/turbos (havent decided yet) but I imagine worst comes to worst, I've got a good baseline for the base tune... (I should be able to take this, retard timing, bump up fuel etc, right?

with the megasquirt configuration you got there, I am still going to have to solder on some minor additions, no?

Also, currently your configuration doesnt handle the boost does it? Ultimately I'd like to run a boost control solenoid etc... but if the ms solution doesnt support it yet and it's likely to come soon, I can go MS. Sure beats spending AT LEAST 1800 bucks on another solution.

btw, I appreciate all the headway and time you've put into this thing... and information you are helping out with. I've got nearly disposable fabrication resources, and was thinking about going big... custom intake manifold, custom turbo manifold, girdles that tie into oil pan...

I noticed the twin turbo trailblazer prototype said it had piston cooling oil squirters, dont know if thats necessary or easy to modify (to simulate)

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
I also have a decent turbo fuel/spark map.

Start reading the MS support manuals there is a lot to digest before you start soldering parts together. Then once your done the megamanual go over to the MSextra forum and read the MSextra 2.01 manual this will tell you all you want to know. There is stuff in there I haven't read yet too.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
What do I need to lookup and research as far as additional stuff I'd need to add to a pre-assembled ms2 board... Are all the injector drivers and coil stuff onboard and just need to wire it up?

I dont mind doing the research at all, I am confident in my soldering as far as that stuff goes, just need to know what I am researching.

That being said I will go read megamanual and msextra manual. I think thats the problem with megasquirt, its not real obvious what I am going to need, what firmware, what is extra, etc. MS3 looks pretty impressive, but with its release date pretty much TBA, I dont know if I can wait around =)

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
 Originally Posted By: ronnyek
What do I need to lookup and research as far as additional stuff I'd need to add to a pre-assembled ms2 board... Are all the injector drivers and coil stuff onboard and just need to wire it up? <<<< yes with some extra instructions that I have here.

I dont mind doing the research at all, I am confident in my soldering as far as that stuff goes, just need to know what I am researching.

That being said I will go read megamanual and msextra manual. I think thats the problem with megasquirt, its not real obvious what I am going to need, what firmware, what is extra, etc. MS3 looks pretty impressive, but with its release date pretty much TBA, I dont know if I can wait around =)

In a nutshell you need:

MS3.00 main board
MS2 processor
A wiring harness - either modified factory or generic MS harness tweaked to suit.
laptop with megatune tuning s/w installed (must have a serial port or serial port adapter).
MS Jim stim board to allow bench testing - get the 12V power supply for it.
A serial comm cable to hook up your laptop to MS.
After building your MS 3.00 main board and testing it with B&G code you then convert to MSextra code MS2 beta code. This is a one way street without special equipment.

http://www.megamanual.com/mtabcon.htm
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/

Ask questions - if they are MS specific use the MS forums. If it pertains to the 4200 ask here.

Last edited by efi-diy; 03/19/09 03:28 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
oh I knew that stuff, just meant, do I need to add additional io's or daughterboards etc =)... I got a lot of reading to do. Thanks =)

E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
Read the MSextra ignition manual. No extra boards needed. Follow the MS 3.00 wiring diagram to determine what relays you need.

Last edited by efi-diy; 03/19/09 02:03 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available