Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#48821 03/24/09 02:43 AM
royal50 Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I would like to add power steering to my 250 motor. It's a 70 Camaro 250 in a 1950 Chevy car. I seen pictures of some, and the idea of it sounds good. You guys are usually a lot of help with topics. What do I need to buy and do? Thanks

Thank you for those who take the time to help and provide advice!
A classic car enthusiest!
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
What method are you thinking of using for power steering?

I.I. #3174
royal50 Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
The cheaper route. I have no idea.

F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
HI ROYAL : There were lots of 250's that came with P.S. Look around at cruise nights for a similar unit ( and carry a camera ) . What you do " down below " is a whole different subject . I used a '94 Buick Regal power rack , to get a " rear-steer " unit . Fabbed my own mount , which must be level and centered . Good Luck - FLEET / DON

51 Fleetline / 250 /T-5
royal50 Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Thanks

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
 Originally Posted By: FLEET 51
HI ROYAL : There were lots of 250's that came with P.S. Look around at cruise nights for a similar unit ( and carry a camera ) . What you do " down below " is a whole different subject . I used a '94 Buick Regal power rack , to get a " rear-steer " unit . Fabbed my own mount , which must be level and centered . Good Luck - FLEET / DON

Any issues with bumpsteer?
How is the turning radius?
Do you have any pictures?

I.I. #3174
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
HI GEARHEAD: My car is not finished and has not been driven -therefore no driving details yet. Have some pics of rack & mount prior to installation , but don't know how to post them(yet). Have to pull the motor in a few weeks , so maybe installed pics will be available . -- Fleet/Don

51 Fleetline / 250 /T-5
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Based on what I've heard from some who have used older "kits" to do this, or made up there own, it will reduce the turning radius, but then I don't know what they used for a rack. If the car is significantly lowered, then perhaps the decrease in turning radius isn't a problem.

Other options for power steering are:

Find a PS setup from a 53-54 car. Make sure you get the entire column, its mounting bracket and pitman arm. The center link is also unique to PS, but I don't know offhand what the differences are. The original pump, hoses and dual groove balancer are not necessary because you are using a 250. This is the only "bolt in" option.

Camaro or Nova stub. Obviously, alot of fab work. Take 2" out of the middle so it's not too wide. Modify the end of your column or use a late model column.

Aftermarket Mustang II setup. modify column or late model column.

Jamco makes a kit now to use a later model box tipped on its side so it can work with the original steering setup. Still need to modify the column or use later column.

Using a 55-late 60's ram style PS. I've never seen or heard of it being done. I would suspect after looking at the parts invovled, that you may not have room to locate everything, especially since the steering setup on a pre-55 car is entirely different than a 55-up car. I think I would do the late model rack before I tried this, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise...

Installing a steering setup from a '68-74 rear steer Nova. I just made this up now. I have no idea if it could be done or not. Just something to ponder...

I.I. #3174
Contributor
Contributor
Check out Buffalo's Saginaw conversion (12 Port Advertisers link on main page). His stuff works, price is reasonable, he is an Inliner, and, he is in Washington.

Tim

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 161 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available