Print Thread
Rate Thread
#49006 04/01/09 10:35 PM
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
Hello everyone, I am trying to get this motor together for the break in next week, but I lost my oil pickup, cant seem to find one anywhere at any part store or wrecking yard, or on the internet/ebay, a buddy of mine gave me the one from his 54 chevy 235 but it looks different than I remember from my 56-62 later style 235, are they interchangeable? If not, does anyone on here have an extra used one that is usable that they would be willing to donate to my cause, or for a couple of bucks.

you can lead people to truth, but you can't make them see it!
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
no info on this? Really? With the wealth of knowledge here, some one has got to know, the pickup I got from my friends '54 is a boxie looking obeject that has a round screen inside of it, but the boxie object looks about 2 inches tall, and the motor it came off of didn't have a dipper pan, but it did have a water pump half on the head and half on the block, so I am a little lost here if it will fit my 58-62 261, any help here would be awesome, and greatly appreciated.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Tye, there have probably been several variations through the years with oil pick-up tubes for these engines in both cars and trucks. I would think as long as it will bolt up and not have any mechanical interference with any rotating components like crank counterweights or rods, and as long as it comes to within at least a 1/4" of the deepest part of the sump and doesn't bottom out, it should be acceptable to use.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Contributor
Contributor
dbane261,

Do you (and every other stovebolter) have the
Old Car Manual Project? bookmarked? The answers to most of my questions (and maybe to your questions) can be found there. It is a great resource. Help Keith out as much as feel that his information is worth. Another great resource is Stovebolt Page, and its tech tips and links.

Some useful information from the 1954 shop manual.

An illustration from Page 190 from the Master Parts Catalog. I recall that the 1954 pump pickup is similar.

The 1955 and later oil pump pickups are not the same as the 1954. I could not find an illustration of the 1958, but it may be similar to the
1955-second. The early (1954 and 1955-first and earlier have the pickup "box" bolt to the third main cap, if I recall correctly. The later engines have a "floater", if I recall correctly. I have a GMC oil pump with a floating oil pickup on my 1954 261; I have not worked on a stock 1954 and earlier since 1966, although i have a disassembled 1954 oil pump in one of my parts boxes (I think). I have not yet worked on a later 235-261, but I one sitting on a dolly in my garage awaiting rebuilding once I get my current project completed and by herniated disc repaired. If you are in my neighborhood feel free to give me a call and drop in and examine what parts that I have. Your profile indicates that your location is Anderson. Is that the Anderson in Missouri by any chance?

If you need parts, contact Jim Carter or one of the other 12 Port advertisers. I did not see your Inliners International membership number attached to your user's name. We should all proudly put our II# in our user's name.

Best wishes on your project and your exams. It took me nine years after high school to finally graduate as i needed to needed to work full-time plus and squeeze classes in as best I could.

Hoyt, Inliner #922
Hoyt #49071 04/04/09 10:42 PM
D
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
D
Well it turns out long story short that the pickup from the '54 that my friend had will not fit, not even kinda close, mine is supposed to be round shaped with half of the circle open with a screen, and the tube that goes to the block is way too short. I saw a great picture of a pump set up of the same deal on google seach for 261 chevy, and the first site that came up was titled http://rides.webshots.com/album/109150147dILZZr, it just says 261 chevy engine pictures from cars on webshots, and it basically summed up my questions, all my questions were answered once I put the oil pump in and realized the relative distance that the missing parts were gonna have to cover in order to work, ruling out the hodgepodge pieces I had. I did look at Jim Carters web site, and he does have what is listed as a "screen," for this motor, we'll see if thats what I hope it is, heck this thing is almost worked out.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available