Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
XXL Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I've got Clifford shorty headers and intake. I've eaten my second exhaust manifold gasket (the head-to-header one, not the collector gasket). Anyone have suggestions of making this issue go away? Constraints... I'm not getting rid of the header. I've got a small fortune in work done to it to clear the ground on my ultra-low hooptey. Maybe a particular gasket and swap out the bolts with studs? If so, can anyone offer up a quality stud set part number? The ARP site (arp-bolts.com) isn't responding, and neither Summit, nor Jegs lists anything for the inlines.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
A common problem isn't the limited gasket surface, but the fact that there is almost no vertical spacing between upper and lower bolts.
The extreme length of the primaries means that huge leverage is exerted against the flange when the collector moves even slightly.
Anything you can do to tie the bottom of the header to the engine (not the chassis, or the exhaust to the muffler) will help but it must be very stiff left to right. The easiest point of attachment is the collector bolt pattern. Make 2 1/8" or 3/16" thick tabs with a hole for a collector bolt and install them at the collector ring, and use these as the take-off for the struts. Weld or bolt tube to each tab, thin wall is fine, 3/4" minimum (like conduit), or an "L" - don't use strap, it's too flexible. Run 1 from the collector ring across to the block wherever you can find a bolt or stud, and the other to either front or rear (it will be on an angle), both is better. Can be to an accessory bracket as long as it's strong like power steering or AC.
I've had good luck with wire cable, but positioning it is more critical, it can't make bends, and it has to be tensioned so it's dangerous.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I run LONG tube headers with a 18" colletor I also use the 155 Mrgasket gasket.But i also coat my gaskets with Copper RTV so i can reuse them at just about anytime.And i have not had problems
blowing out gaskets. I also use reg.SB studs And I have also bought (dorman company) 3/8 studs Part#676-101 from a reg part house.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
I have had good results will Fel-pro 1448 and 1257 gaskets for sealing against the head. They are expensive however.
Regular hardware store/ parts house studs and where space allows,the oem clamps work well. If you want to stay with bolts and are worried about them getting loose, check with Stage 8 to see if they have a set that will work.

Inliner #1916

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 420 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available