Print Thread
Rate Thread
#49747 05/06/09 12:55 PM
D
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
D
Zero in search results,so: Should I use an anti-seize compound or a Locktite product when mounting steel carb studs into an aluminum manifold? Pretty basic,I know, but I'm not up on this info.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Depends on whether you are ever going to want to remove the studs from the manifold. If you're ever going to take them out, use anti-seize. Blue Loctite will hold them in place firmly if you install them finger-tight, but you'll still be able to get them out with regular hand tools. Red Loctite will require heating the studs before you could remove them. It also depends how tight you put the studs in. If you torque them, they'll probably need anti-seize. If you screw them in by hand, they might not. Are you planning on leaving them in place or pulling them out at some point? If you put the studs in dry and torque them, they will probably stick and may pull the threads out of the hole when unscrewed. In my experience from playing with racing engines in motorcycles, all of which were aluminum, I used Loctite on bolt threads and stud threads and never had any problems getting bolts or studs out later without pulling the threads out of the aluminum.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Its always a good idea to use anti-seize on the threads of bolts/studs that are inserted in aluminum. Also, the water neck bolts and distributor hold down bolts on many V8's are often overlooked as also possible problem areas for thread corrosion issues and should also be considered for this as well.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
D
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
D
Well, I hadn't thought that I'd ever remove them,but maybe?
So I'll use Blue Loctite and screw in by hand. Thanks.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 323 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available