Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Casually I have been looking at the 92-97 Supercharged 3800 POntiac Bonneville technology. Recently there have been quite a few of these blowers on eBay and Craigslist and at affordable prices.
Having researched a blow thru Turbo to cost $1500-3000 and found it hard to do because of shock tower infringement, I have parked that notion away for my 65 Nova. I know some fabricators have worked their way around the towers. I am not sure I have those resources.

So, I was wondering how hard would it be to try to match one of these GM superchargers up to my 250 inline Chevy? Is this going down the same road as the turbo?

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
64 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
225 /6 w 5speed
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Someone on here did this...I don't remember who though.

If I remember right, they adapted a four barrel to the air intake at the back of the blower, and the either used a one off manifold, or a Larrowe and Sons?

It's all kinda foggy - but I know it's been done!

Definitely going to be watching this one...

-Sam.

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
74NovaGuy contacted me some time back to make him some brackets and an adapter to mount a similar setup on his 250. Maybe thats who your thinking about.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
X
Contributor
Contributor
X
I need to search the post, but it was "Pappy"..Blue roadster with a blower on a Chevy 250..

Sincerely:
Paul...aka xerxes

Edit:...Pappy is "jlgrooms" and the thread started on 5/16/08, titled "supercharged 250 chev".

Sincerely:
Paul...aka xerxes

Last edited by Xerxes; 05/06/09 02:46 PM.
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
OKay this is getting interesting. I would like to stay with carb blowers seem to accept them when set up right. If I went to efi I would go MegaSquirt. But I must find those other threads...

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
225 /6 w 5speed
A
Contributor
Contributor
A

A
Contributor
Contributor
A
That's true but Pappy was very careful to make the plenum large enough to overcome the blower placement. He said the fuel distribution is fine. This is the longest stock snout you can get and it is about 3 inches too short. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to extend one cleanly.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Now I remember Pappys set up. So i think I must at least research the Ford set up to see if possible. Good thing my engine is on a stand right now. Lots of measurement to do here.

James

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
225 /6 w 5speed
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Ok, I have to ask, since this topic is really peaking my interest.

What did the stock 3.8's that these were on have done to them to allow for boost? were they just cast pistons, since it was a relatively low boost situation, or...?

I know those blown 3.8s really went...an ex gf had one. miss the car, not her...haha..

Also, would it be possible to mount the blower 90 deg., with the bottom facing in the ports, and "stagger", i guess, the pulleys like it was mentioned ford did? And would this be an acceptable way to acheive even air/fuel flow within the plenum to the ports?

-Sam.

1967 Chevy II, 2-door post.
250, 3-OTT.

1969 GMC 1/2-ton.
307, 3-OTT.
DD.
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
This is so funny!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
panic, why do your posts disappear? A lot of the things you add just aren't there any more and it screws up the flow when someone comments on information thats gone.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
When comments are to explain why I'm wrong, or to add information that I already posted, I'm wasting my time and yours.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Since most of your comments don't contribute to the topics anyway....why bother at all.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I don't contribute to the topic? Really?

Let me suggest an alternate explanation: you don't understand what I said.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
would it be possible to mount the blower 90 deg., with the bottom facing in the ports, and "stagger", i guess, the pulleys like it was mentioned ford did?

Short memory, have we?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Provided there is enough room in the engine compartment to allow the blower adequate clearance with the shock towers,its feasible to mount it that way. I have seen several race inline engines with the blowers mounted this way. Might not be the most practical approach, but it has been done. And obviously works for them....

Z
Z33 Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Z
Armond,
As far as the snout length goes, Magnuson makes a two-piece drive assembly for eaton 45, 62 and 90 series. According to my catalog they range from 4 to 20 inches. No prices listed but their ebay store has a m90 with a 8.85 nose for $275.00 (buy it now).
z

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
OKay...so ...we are getting somewhere here. Research is the answer folks. Back to the drawing board.

James Kuenzi
Mid Missouri
225 /6 w 5speed
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/dbbrlc

That's a great price, this is the highest point of development of the M series.
You still need the obvious brackets, drive pulley, etc. and must fabricate an intake. My first guess: make up a flat plate with the intake side bolt pattern, and make it anything you want. If you have enough room front to back it can be a 90° turn up to a 4 bbl. adapter as a base.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
This is going to sound complex, but there's another way to disconnect the blower discharge position from the length to the pulley, but it's only good for blow-through.
1. locate the blower case so the pulleys line up as usual.
2. rotate the blower 180° so the exhaust faces up.
3. make a cover for the discharge port using the gasket surface and whatever bolts are available, with a 2" long 3" OD cylinder stub over the end of the triangle.
4. 3" 90° bend to a straight 3" tube
5. tube angles away from the blower (not straight across) to align with a normal 4 bbl. manifold inlet (Clifford, etc.)
6. tube enters the carb hat or box from the side

3" is just my guess (same area as a 4 bbl. with 1-1/2" venturis), but since it's dry it doesn't matter. It would be a problem if draw through carb.

Z
Z33 Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Z
Words hurt head. Here are some pictures when I was toying with this subject. Disclaimer, none of these are mine. I was just using them to visualize the project. Supercharger inline

Z

X
Contributor
Contributor
X
I'm curious Panic..What is it that you find so funny? It's getting by me at the moment. Seems like a couple of members trying to put an idea together. Trying to get information for a potential project. Is that the funny part?

Sincerely:
Paul...aka xerxes

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
What's funny?
After I post a very long comment, some tells me that I "don't contribute".

I guess "contribute" means different things to different people.
To mean - it's posting something that is:
1. correct
2. useful
3. no one else thought of

And you just read my last 2 posts, and you don't think I did anything at all....

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Seems like a couple of members trying to put an idea together. Trying to get information for a potential project. Is that the funny part?

No, the really funny part is that some clever person has decided to make my remarks permanent.

Hmm... what effect do you think that will have?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I guess you'll need to make sure you cross all your T's and dot all your I's then, huh!

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
...because I always make those mistakes, right?

Better and better.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: panic
This is so funny!

panic,
it is comments like this and others you have done that hurt your reputation in my mind. there are other times you do contribute in a positive fashion also, that i like. different ideas are good, putting them out like trash is bad. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Of course, the criticism and personal remarks about me are all well intentioned and appropriate, right?

It's the strangest thing.
For those of you who are new to this stuff (my 1st personal computer: 1983) there used to be only 1 rule of conduct for a BBS:

"A comment may be made to initiate a new topic, or to reply to the content of a prior topic, but never, ever about the motive, competence, or personality of another speaker".

Not too much attention paid to it here, is there?

Major Contributor
Major Contributor

No, in my opinion, you don't contribute much useful. When asked to elaborate or explain particulars, you get your panties in a wad and start deleting chit. On these topics, it seems you would rather argue. I sent you a nice "I'm sorry" PM after our last exchange thinking I might have been a little rough on you. To me, it's clear you have limited social skills on this board.

this is a nice way to say i personally would not be offended if you packed up and left.

For all I care, anyone else can pile on. I'm tired of this guys attitude.......

Tom
I.I. #1475
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: 6inarow I.I. #1475

No, in my opinion, you don't contribute much useful. When asked to elaborate or explain particulars, you get your panties in a wad and start deleting chit. On these topics, it seems you would rather argue. I sent you a nice "I'm sorry" PM after our last exchange thinking I might have been a little rough on you. To me, it's clear you have limited social skills on this board.

this is a nice way to say i personally would not be offended if you packed up and left.

For all I care, anyone else can pile on. I'm tired of this guys attitude.......
X2

A
Contributor
Contributor
A
The M90 on ebay has to be the best deal of the century! If I weren't so far along it would have been my first choice.

I took an M90 from a Mustang and installed the longer GM snout, then built an adapter to mount it to a Clifford 4 barrel intake manifold. The openings are almost dead on. Still need to machine the bypass and build a heated connection section. That way as your in cruzin mode without boost, the mixture will have carb heat and when boosted it will be cold. For something different, I'm using 3 Harley constant velocity carbs they are altitude compensating and each will support one hundred hp. Getting the snout longer has been my main question mark. I did look at the Magnuson site and have a copy of their catalog coming but I would prefer to keep it homegrown and cheap, old school. It will go on the 230 in my '41 pickup.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Pics, we need pics! :-)

Sounds neat!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I sent you a nice "I'm sorry" PM after our last exchange thinking I might have been a little rough on you

"Apology" is not how I would describe it. Didn't notice any words normally found in an apology such as "wrong", "sorry", "mistake", "apologize", "error", "regret", etc.
Instead, you explained why you were right and I was wrong, why your behavior was appropriate and mine was not, and what you will do if I annoy you again.

By "limited social skills" you mean I prefer to please myself, rather than you? Because the important thing we accomplish here is to make people like you, isn't it?
And if someone says something completely devoid of factual content (I won't elaborate, because the comprehension of this sort of material isn't what I hoped it would be) the right thing to do is to agree - because his feeling will be hurt, and as we all know all opinion have the same value.

What the word I'm thinking of?
Finding the same behavior that you exhibit offensive in others?
Begins the letter "H"?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Sorry I asked.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I sent you a nice "I'm sorry" PM after our last exchange thinking I might have been a little rough on you

"Apology" is not how I would describe it. Didn't notice any words normally found in an apology such as "wrong", "sorry", "mistake", "apologize", "error", "regret", etc.
Instead, you explained why you were right and I was wrong, why your behavior was appropriate and mine was not, and what you will do if I annoy you again.

By "limited social skills" you mean I prefer to please myself, rather than you? Because the important thing we accomplish here is to make people like you, isn't it?
And if someone says something completely devoid of factual content (I won't elaborate, because the comprehension of this sort of material isn't what I hoped it would be) the right thing to do is to agree - because his feeling will be hurt, and as we all know all opinion have the same value.

What the word I'm thinking of?
Finding the same behavior that you exhibit offensive in others?
Begins the letter "H"?

You just dont get it. I saved the PM I sent you and will happily post it so others can mane the judgement on how it came across. (maybe you are right about how it came across - I doubt it, but its possible). From my perspective, it was a nice statemnt that said we got off on the wrong foot and not start a war over the deal. You chose to blow it off. Fine by me but expect the same treatment in return. You started this mess I didnt. I'm not the hypocrite - I'm treating you as you treat me. I think tlowe and others should feel the same way. Just look at this thread. You took a nice thread and insulted the OP.

Dont put words in my mouth regarding the "limited social skills" comment. I'll spell it out for you so there is no misunderstanding: limited social skills = your post are offensive and condescending.

Moderators: ban this guy. he continually stirs the pot. His posts do not help our club or website. BAN HIM!!!

Tom
I.I. #1475
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
His posts do not help

You're absolutely right.

Moderators: since you have wisely decided to censor my work, please delete all my previous remarks.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
His posts do not help

You're absolutely right.

Moderators: since you have wisely decided to censor my work, please delete all my previous remarks.

Dont let the door hit you.........

Tom
I.I. #1475
Contributor
Contributor
Panic, I don't know where you get the 'censor' idea, your posts have not been modified by me.

Everyone, Let's get back to exchanging ideas, respecting the other person's intellegence, and try to avoid more pissin' contests.

It's one thing to think something to yourself, but a complete opposite when you put it in print. Like Momma used to say, if you cant say somthing nice, stifle it.

Tim Tenold
Webmaster

Tim Tenold
I.I.#498
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club

Your remarks can stay....they just need to delete you!

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Isn't that cute!

The VERY FIRST THING you absolutely must do after the Webmaster says "avoid more pissin' contests" is.... make another rude remark.

But, please - don't feel as though there is any need to stop merely because the rules have been explained to you. After all, they don't apply to YOU, so they? So, feel free to add more insults.

I know you won't disappoint me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 132 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available