Print Thread
Rate Thread
#49759 05/06/09 06:36 PM
D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
hello everyone my name is Ron and i am here for the first time to tell the truth i have never given inlines much thought till now(dont no why)but anyway im in the process of getting all my parts together to build another 65 chevy pickup and have a fresh 230 in my garage i built for my dad about 5 yrs ago then diceded to go with 250 and powerglide so now i have it and would like as much insite as anyone is willing to share on preformance since i have never done this with a inline i would like to get as much power as possible with going overboard and killing my driveability thanks Ron (by the way i will be running a 5 speed)

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hey Ron, and welcome to Inliners! These later generation inlines respond well to many of the same mods that V8's do. So pretty much anything you would do to a 350, for instance, will give close to the same results, like headers, and electronic ignition, hotter camshaft, and possibly even a 4 bbl.intake and carb. Also, if you are going to be tearing into the engines internals and boring it out and doing any head work, the usual 3 angle valve job and bowl porting helps, as does the bolt-in "lumps" that are available. There are also, several on here that have put turbos on these engines, so being a diesel mechanic as mentioned in your post heading, you can appreciate what a turbo can do i'm sure. So there is really no limit as to what you can do to these engines for performance upgrades.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Howdy Ron, just out of curiosity, which 5 speed?

For what it's worth there is a fellow on here that put one of the Eaton superchargers on one of these (IIRC it's off a Pontiac Bonneville).

Draw through with a carb. Ought to motivate quite well like that (faster initial response than a turbo, but likely less ultimate boost).

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
thank you very much i am very interested in doing a turbo now as far as lumps i dont know what your referring to and i do plan to do all usual mods but im always open to any advice i can get thanks

D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
hi the 5 speed is out of a 1993 half ton chevy 4.3 2wd i am intersted in any advice and help that is available have every intentions of installing a turbo and as for the carbs i have heard mention of on hear(draw thru??????)very mysterious to me but do plan to make all the the usual mods i would make to a v8 but just for the record i have never been so excited about building a engine and there is no information around hear on inlines no one does it here even are speed shops are in the dark when i asked thanks Ron

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Ron -

It seems to always start with Leo Santucci's inline performance book.
You can get it through Inliners International by contacting Carol Corbett at gmccorbett@webtv.net

will6er #49768 05/07/09 12:08 AM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
diesel,
a blow thru carb/ turbo setup will work better than a draw thru setup. there is also a nice turbo ready manifold available and will fit your truck fine. there is one on ebay now. i use one. tom

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
well if you dont mind my asking what is your average hp with a turbo and now im gonna go look at differences in the 2 carbs and thank you for the info but feel sure i will have million more questions lol!!! again thank you

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
what is your average hp

???

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
my average tq is about 300 ft lbs to the tires and a max of 243 hp so far also to the tires. all done by 4800 rpm.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
hello good to have time to get back on here got to go order my cam and lifters today (470 lift 260 duration)$160.00 fixin to teardown and take block and head down for work (found a awesome little machine shop right up the road from work and they are very helpful)now to find a 4 barrel intake for less than $300.00

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Try J C Whittney

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
does inliners by any chance have a chapter in or around eastern oklahoma or western arkansas

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 492 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available