Rate Thread
#50364 06/04/09 01:40 PM
V
VStock Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
V
I am currently building two cars, a 66 Chevelle and a 69 Camaro. Both will be powered by 230's. The Chevelle is on the road and will be primarily for the street; the Camaro will be for NHRA stock class drag racing. I've been looking for headers for a while now. Someone suggested I build my own - I'm going to give it a try. I bought a set of flanges from our own Twisted Six, I got them several months ago. Recently there is someone listing header flanges on Ebay; I bought a set of those also. I like the ones I got from Twisted Six much better than the Ebay ones. The finish is better, the outline is better, and they have a divider in the siamese ports.

X
Contributor
Contributor
X
Um, I have just one question.. How the heck do you build two cars at once? I can't seem to get one done!

Building the headers for my truck was certainly fun. Didn't have any choice in my case, but fun. I'd do it again.

Sincerely:
Paul

V
VStock Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
V
Who said I get anything done? I got the Chevelle last November, just got it on the road again two weeks ago. The Camaro is at a friend's house - I'm paying him to put in new floorboards and rocker panels. If 'm lucky I will have it on the track next year.

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I have a set of the common and cheap 1/2 ton Chevy truck headers. I shortened them a bit to fit my Nova. Not as nice as built from scratch but it was a lot quicker.

V
VStock Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
V
Yup, I'm planning on doing the same. I bought a set of the Flowtech truck headers. Jeg's had a set on E-Bay for $129 plus shipping.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
 Originally Posted By: strokersix
I have a set of the common and cheap 1/2 ton Chevy truck headers. I shortened them a bit to fit my Nova. Not as nice as built from scratch but it was a lot quicker.

any pics of what you did?

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Is there a Part Number for the Flowtech Headers for the Inline Six?

250 Integrated Head / 1981 C-10 Pick up.
V
VStock Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
V
There is - it is Flowtech no. 11510.

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
The truck headers hung down too far but fit my '72 Nova OK otherwise. Placed them on them on the bench and marked where to remove tube. I cut out sections of tubing and welded them back together so the collectors wouldn't hang down so far. It wasn't too difficult. Had to fight with it a bit to get three tubes lined up simultaneously but it really was pretty easy.

I don't know how to post photos. Any tutorial or help?

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Thanks Vstock. My current 250 has the intergrated head but my neighbor has a regular 250 he will sell me for $100
When I get some real headers I can stop making that funny sound...
Vroom Vroom

250 Integrated Head / 1981 C-10 Pick up.
V
VStock Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
V
Summit has the truck headers on E-Bay with a Buy It Now price of $138.95 + $11.95 shipping. The listing says they have four sets available.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I thought throw this out in case someone is looking at Pacesetter truck headers. I bought a set from that auction. When they were delivered they looked new and the flange was a little beefer than the headers I'm currently running. I started to mock up the headers with the Offy 4bbl intake the other day and there is a clearance problem. The extra material on the flange won't let the Offy manifold clear the flange. Pacesetter added an extra 1/8 of an inch to the inside of the flange between #1 and #2 cylinders. The Offy manifold also appears to have some extra material on the bottom of #1 and #2 intake. It looks like I could remove some material from the Offy with out getting into the gasket area. I don't see a problem with #5 and #6 7yet. Haven't decide which way to go yet, but the header is the likely choice for cutting. I have no idea what year either the Offy or the headers were made. I did send an email to Pacesetter via their web site and have not got an answer.

LG

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 295 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available