Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50509 06/11/09 01:44 PM
W
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
Hi everyone...I have a 1940 S.D., suicide doors, 216 6-cyl, 3 on the column. I think I want to convert it over to a small block chevy, 4-speed automatic trans, etc, etc. What Im wondering is how big a project is this? I know it has to be converted over to a 12-v electrical system, but what about mounting the motor, trans, rear-end? Can I use the orig. frame? Will the motor/trans/rear mount up without too much trouble? I have moderate fab. skills, but I do know when something is out of my league and have to farm it out. Any info, tips, tricks, video links, write ups, book recommendations, any of that is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Yes, it's alot of work, but you have the wrong website...

I.I. #3174
W
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
Why?

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
This is the Inliners International web site dedicated to the preservation of Inline motors. NOT the replacemant of inline motors. I suggest you try the forums on chevytalk.org.

LG

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
First it doesn't matter what motor you have the rpm is going to be the same. Installing an overdrive would be a good start. Finding an OD for a torque tube drive shaft might be difficult. My thing is 60s GM trucks so I'm not much help there.

LG

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Not a whole lot of help (directly) for a Chev but there is a fellah on the HAMB working up an adapter to hook a T5 out of a 4X4 S10 to a Ford torqe tube.

I figure if it's possible on the Ford tube, there must be a way to make it work on the Chevy tube.

I don't know if the automatic ODs have the same output shaft spline count or size (probably not) but should be possible, if difficult.

Or you could swap the rear to one that takes an open driveline, which would likely be easier to do.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 276 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available