Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50508 06/11/09 01:43 PM
W
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
Hi everyone...I have a 1940 S.D., suicide doors, 216 6-cyl, 3 on the column. I think I want to convert it over to a small block chevy, 4-speed automatic trans, etc, etc. What Im wondering is how big a project is this? I know it has to be converted over to a 12-v electrical system, but what about mounting the motor, trans, rear-end? Can I use the orig. frame? Will the motor/trans/rear mount up without too much trouble? I have moderate fab. skills, but I do know when something is out of my league and have to farm it out. Any info, tips, tricks, video links, write ups, book recommendations, any of that is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
Yes, it's alot of work, but you have the wrong website...

I.I. #3174
W
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
Why?

V
Contributor
Contributor
V
I drove a 1940 Chevy Coupe with a 1956 Chevy 235 for six years as my daily transportation. You can put a later model Chevy six in using all Chevy parts. This is the site if you want help doing that. We don't do bent eights here.

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
This is the Inliners International web site dedicated to the preservation of Inline motors. NOT the replacemant of inline motors. I suggest you try the forums on chevytalk.org.

LG

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
W
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
Gotcha, Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didnt get the "you have the wrong website" metaphor.

The car is a running 216 3 speed in the column and to be honest, Im not sure what Im going to do with it; keep it original, or modify it. Id be all for dropping in another straight 6 if I could get some performance out of it, and maybe an overdrive trans. Heck Id keep it a 216 if I could drive it at a decent clip on the 55 mph and above roads.

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
 Originally Posted By: watchdog
Edit...Id be all for dropping in another straight 6 if I could get some performance out of it, and maybe an overdrive trans. ....Edit

How do you feel about computers in your car?

If you don't mind them, and wiring doesn't scare you, the chapest way to get both (some performance and an overdirve trans) would be to do the 4200 Vortec swap out of a Trailblazer (and it's siblings).

Not a panacea as there are pitfalls and it's pretty much DIY (no kits that I've heard of).

There are several people here that have done or are working on that swap.

FWIW there are 2WD Trailblazers (I've got one for a donor) if you can find one toatled for cheap, you have most if not all the parts to do that.

Not to say there isn't a performance possiblity out of the 216 / 235 / 261 ('cause there is) and several people have an adapter to put the later transmissions on it,including the overdrives.

I suggested the OD with the Vortec as it's already bolted up, thus no adaptation (to the engine) issues as it's designed for what it's screwed to, but that's not the only way if you have a different preference.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Note, I forgot to mention, I'm not sure the rear axle's going fit out of the Trailblazer.

The engine and trans are going into a '50 Jimmy, and I suspect that will take a different rear axle width than your SD.

But I don't know for sure.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
W
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
I wouldnt even mind going to a 292, but it requires 12-v conversion and tranny swap anyhow right? (if I remember right).

O
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
O

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (47Thriftmaster250, 41 Coupe), 344 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available