Print Thread
Rate Thread
#50567 06/14/09 09:47 AM
O
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
O
After many years of running Chevy 250s, I want to do something a little different. I want to run a Mopar slant 6. This will be used in a vintage oval track car. We RACE , not just do moderate speed exhibition races as some clubs do.
Anyhow my question is, does anybody out there in inline land know of any special precautions I need to be aware of while doing machine work/ assembly work on this motor?
I have been told I need to place a restrictor in the oil galley (in the head) that feeds the rockers because if not, the rear rod bearing will be starved of oil.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can only afford to build one good motor right now. Don't want to blow up any , making it a "learning experience"

oldmodlover #50581 06/14/09 02:35 PM
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
I used to work with a guy who raced a Mopar slant 6 in oval track. He said that the main problem they had was crank flexing because the slant 6 is a 4 main bearing motor, but there isn't a whole lot you can do about that problem. He also said that even with the crank flexing, it's a pretty durable engine and will take a lot of punishment.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.
#50588 06/14/09 06:46 PM
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
Try and find a copy of the old direct connection power manuals - they had one just for the slant six.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
oldmodlover #50599 06/15/09 12:21 AM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
You may want to have a look at http://www.slantsix.org/ . Please not that is DOT ORG, not dot com. Lots of racers over there getting good performance from the slants. Be sure to check out the articles section and pay close attention to anything written by Doug Dutra if you like to go fast and keep it in one piece. Crank flex does not seem to be a big issue even with the late model cast cranks. Early 70's and older slants all had forged cranks.

Scott.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available