Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
G
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
G
I recently picked up a vehicle with a GM 250. The year of the vehicle is 1984. Not sure if the engine is original, but the casting number is: 473483.

When I got it the valve cover was leaking bad, enough that the engine smokes from the leaking oil hitting the exhaust. I figured it would be a simple fix. Went to carquest, ordered a valve cover gasket for a 84 GM 250. While it was close, some of the holes were in the wrong spot. So I'm wondering if I need a gasket for a different year? Any idea what year I should ask for or better yet a part number? The part number for the gasket I tried is: VS39755 ( carquest made by Victor Reinz).

I tried to use just silicone but it's leaking just as bad (figures as the old 'gasket' was just silicone too).

The engine and engine compartment were covered in oil, I wish I had a before picture, but these picture are after I degreased and pressure washed.

[on edit] OK I see that I may have gotten a gasket for an "integrated head" as this is what was common in '84. Can anyone confirm that the head is NOT the integrated head? It doesn't look like it to me but just want to be sure, here is a link to a high res (4megs) pick of the intake/exhaust side of the engine: intake - exhaust

Some pictures
valve cover:

Carb

Distributor

Vehicle - 1984 Hyster 15000lb Forklift.

thanks

Last edited by greg9504; 07/05/09 11:23 PM. Reason: add link to picture of intake exhaust
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
The 84 smog vehicles with 250 had an integral head. You have the early head 63-79(?). The carburetor hat is Hyster(?). That fork looks like what I usually see in the lumber yards here.

Welcome aboard, if you've got plans on making that fastest stud hauler around you've come to the right place. 8^)

LG

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
G
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Get a Valve cover gasket for a non integrated head 250.

Just ask for a valve cover gasket from a 72 Nova and you'll get what you want.

I wouldn't have a clue what originally came in that fork truck but you definitely have a non integrated head engine.

G
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
G
Right now I just want to stop it acting like the Exxon Valdez. Thanks for the info!

P
Contributor
Contributor
P
Hey you have a Hydraulic pump on the front of the engine.
I need one of them so I can make me a Low-Rider

250 Integrated Head / 1981 C-10 Pick up.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 322 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available