Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51370 07/25/09 08:07 PM
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
I have heard you guys are gurus when it comes to inlines.... I picked up my first truck this year, '64 GMC with a 230 I6. I am wondering a few things. I know it can't be a powerhouse fast and cheap, but I was wondering what little things I could do to give it more pep. It currently has a 1barrel rochester on it. I have a Rochester 2jet off of a 350, if I get some kind of adapter for my stock manifold would the 2 barrel help any? I also have an Offenhauser 4 barrel intake manifold in my garage, but I'm pretty sure any 4 barrel is too much for my stock 230. Any other performance tips?

One more - My friends and I rebuilt the rochester carb on it, but it has a problem. If you ease the throttle on, the motor revs up fine, if you punch it, it makes a gasping sound and does nothing. I hear its the accelerator pump not working, but I replaced that with the rebuild kit. Any ideas?

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
The carborator with the adapter will get you about five more horses at the wheels. Go here to see.

http://www.classicinlines.com/Dyno3.asp
With mounting it to the log it will get about 25 more horses.

Your rebuilt carb problem adjust your air to gas ratio. You may be getting to much air and not enough gas. To check this put your hand over the carb and choak it out completely and if it runs normal this is your problem. My grandpa has a little nissan truck and he fixed his by putting something over the carb to choak it out all the time. I dont recommend. Good luck

Last edited by Dustin2; 07/25/09 08:25 PM.

I may love dodges but mustangs are my weakness
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Welcome to the BB.
Install the Offy intake.
You can buy or make an adaptor to run your dual jet carb or other carbs.

A small 4 BBL carb will work fine on a stock 230 engine.

I would not run a 2bbl to 1 bbl adaptor,better off just installing the Offy.
IIRC,,,Only reason you would use the 2 bbl to 1 bbl adaptor,is because the Ford intake is integral with the cylinder head.
You on the other hand have a choice,you can mount almost any different intake you want.

Just because you repalced an accelrator pump w/new,does not mean it's working correctly. Can you see it squirting a lot?

It sounds like a lean condition,from not enough squirt from the accelerator pump,clogged,accelerator circuit,,or he has a vacuum leak somewhere.or????

MBHD

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
Agree on the pump squirter. Sometimes those plungers need to soak a couple days or they dont give a good shot.

Also, make sure your advance curve and vac advance is good or they will go flat like that.

Also, which carb do you have? The 1960s Rochester B came in [at least] 3 sizes. The 292 carb is REALLY big inside - it is 1/4 of an 850 Holley. Works on the 292 but very soggy on the 194/230, it will act as you describe even if the pump is working. That carb is too big for a 230 unless it's a high revver in a light car. The Big B has a 1-3/4" throttle plate, usually manual choke, that's how you can tell easiest.

I
Newcomer
Newcomer
I
My 230 with the 1bbl Rochester does the exact same thing, after a carb rebuild. I totally understand the frustration! I broke down and purchased an Offy & a Holley 390, but have yet to install the pair.

T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
I'm gonna try to soak it in gas. Anyway, when I get this thing on the road, I'm going to get a 390 Holley.

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
Do you have heat under your intake manifold? Quick throttle opening will stumble if you don't heat the intake.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 280 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available