Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51773 08/21/09 11:28 PM
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Does anyone know the correct or preferred procedure to reinstall the back glass and trim with a new seal [PINCHWELD -BACKGLASS (RETAINS MOULDING) and BACK GLASS RUBBER -1948 FLEETLINE 2-DOOR, AEROSEDAN]. My re-pop service manual says nothing at all about this window!

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Hi Joe . . .

The procedure is documented in the 49-53 manual which is available online at the Old Car Manual Project

It involves soaping the rubber lip that fits over the pinch weld and then putting a strong cord/twine into the gap between the window and the lip. The cord runs all the way around the window gasket with both ends coming together in one of the lower corners. Now with a helper holding the window over the opening - or some masking tape holding from the outside - the bottom corner with the string ends has the lip started in over the pinch weld. Next the strings are pulled from the inside to bring more and more of lip in and over the pinch weld. This progresses by working the perimeter a little in each direction from the corner where you started.

The manual doesn't say it but you don't want to end up in the opposite corner as it's to tight to bring that last bit of lip inside. Instead stop pulling the string about midway at the top of the window and work your way along the bottom and up the other side. With all four corners in you can work the lip on the top with both the sting ends.

regards,
stock49

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Thanks Stock49............I have a 49-53 manual also but it seems they turned the 'window frame' inside out for 49 as my pinch weld is only set in about 1/4" or less from the outside surface however, you have led me back to that old manual site I had forgotten about where I found what I needed in the 46-47 Fisher body manual..................Joe

L
Contributor
Contributor
L
A couple of points from an old glass guy:
If you use boiled lindseed oil instead of soapy water it will turn to glue ones it's dried and aid sealing. Be sure your string is at least 3/16 thick or you will risk cutting the rubber with it. Put the rubber on the glass first, install the metal trim in the rubber (if there is any) and then tape it on useing many short lengths of masking tape. Your string will cut through them as you work it in. It usuially helps to have a partner push oh the glass (gently) on the outside while you work the string on the inside. Once it's in, slap the glass to seat it. If you do it so that it hurts your hand (slap, don't hit!) you won't break the glass(another reason why you should never wear a ring in the shop.

Leif (Owned a glass shop '76 to '88)

L
Contributor
Contributor
L
I just realized, I forgot to say install the string before you tape it all together!

Leif

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Leif...........that works for 49 and newer but my 48 installs from the inside as an assembly (glass and seal)and is held in place by the garnish molding while the sealer sets. I found a somewhat vague description in the 46-47 Fisher Body Manual pgs 71,72,180 @ the site that stock49 listed above....... http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/
I knew about the string trick, but couldn't apply it to this situation...........thanks, Joe

OBTW, the pinch seal is separate and goes on first from the outside with adhesive and then it holds the reveal molding on.

Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Another OBTW.............where might I source that boiled linseed oil?......Joe

N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
Some woodworkers use it, so an Ace or True Value might have it (heck, one of the 'Box Stores' might have it too, but I have to wonder what would actually be in the bottle).

I've heard people that are into wooden boats use it as well, so maybe at a marine store?

Just make sure to store any rags that you use with it somewhere safe (ie, if they spontaneously ignite, which supposedly can happen, they won't burn the shop / house down).

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
What the heck is a lin any way and how big are the seeds? If you made your own would you boil the seeds or the oil?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
L
Contributor
Contributor
L
I See... this is a totally different procedure. Linseed oil is still available at most places that sell paint. I understand that it's also available at health food stores, but I think it costs more there! (I can't imagine drinking the stuff but I guess it would be better than the mouth full of gas you could get off the siphon hose!)

Leif

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 364 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available