#52990 10/24/09 02:06 PM
R
russk Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Guys:

Can anyone point me to a formula that predicts (or more correctly, suggests) what intake and exhaust flow should optimally be to support a cylinder of "x" cubic inches at "y" RPM?

For example, what approximate intake and exhaust CFM flow would you need to achieve, given an inline 6 cylinder of 300 cubic inches (or 50 cubic inches per cylinder) operating at (say) 6500 RPM - obviously NOT a street motor?

Is there a general formula that approximates this? I'm guessing you also need cam specifics. And how does VE (volumetric effeciency) play into the calculation? Do you provide VE as an assumed value or is it a derivative of the calculation?

Thanks for any direction you can give.

Russ

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Russ, an engine of this type you are describing should do well with about 1 CFM per cubic inch(300 CFM) on the intake ports. But even if you were in the 280-ish CFM range, that would still be good.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
R
russk Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
CNC-Dude:

Thanks for the response. My gut was telling me about the same thing. Did you come to this by years of experience or did you have some reference material at your disposal?

I've been trying to come up with a (relatively) simple computation that will get me in the ball park for any given cylinder size and RPM range. So far, I'm missing something because the answers I get are either nowhere near enough or way too much flow. Probably some dumb computational error when converting units of measure (either time or volumn).

But at least you have confirmed a target CFM range so I will make another stab at a formula, knowing approximately the answer it should provide.

Thanks again.

Russ

A
Contributor
Contributor
A
I like to use: http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

There's enough here to take up a lot of time and answer a lot of questions.

Arr

R
russk Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Armond:

Thanks for the "heads up" on the Wallace Racing web site. I'll sure spend some time over there and see what I can gleen.

Russ

R
russk Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Armond:

I poked around on the Wallace Racing (Caclulator) web site and it has just about everything you'd want - including just the head flow calculator I was interested in. I'm sure I'll be back to that site from time to time. Thanks again for the help.

CNC-Dude:

The Wallace Racing calculator estimates just shy of 280 cfm for the example I used in my original post. Good call on your part!

Russ

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
 Originally Posted By: russk

CNC-Dude:

The Wallace Racing calculator estimates just shy of 280 cfm for the example I used in my original post. Good call on your part!

Russ
Russ, I kinda' have a more unique approach that I learned from Headrick, but im glad to see it is sorta' confirmed by more advanced methods :D.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 492 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available