Print Thread
Rate Thread
#53187 11/04/09 02:16 PM
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Do you guys/gals know of any good places to get forged rods and pistons for a 292? My father and I are going to run a compression test on his 292. We estimated that the engine has close to a half million miles and if the compression check is unfavorable, we'll rebuild another 292 and drop it into place. I checked Scat Enterprises' website and they have rods for the 250 (I'm thinking the rods are the same as the 292, but different stroke?). If there is somebody out there that has a forged rod & piston package, I'd be cool with that too. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Chickenbone

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Unfortunately, the 292 rods are a one of a kind. They are over an inch longer than the 194-250 rods in the center to center length, and have a large journal housing bore like a 350, the 194-250's have a small journal housing bore like a 283. There are several options for a forged piston, Venolia, Ross and others can provide them for you, but can get pricey. The 292 engine dyno test that is taking place this weekend by tlowe, has Venolia pistons in this engine, with stock OEM rods, and should be plenty strong for most any street combos. He has used a turbo on this engine before, with the same rods and pistons and had no issues with them. I have talked to Scat about making an H-Beam rod for the 292's, because I think this is a viable market and product. So, something might come along later, but for now, just the stock rods or custom steel billet or aluminum is the only other option.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Thanks CNC-Dude! I will see what condition the 292 in the JY is when I go there next time. That engine is missing the valve cover and both manifolds; so I'm hoping that not too much water got into the cylinder bores. I probably should have yanked the 292 out of the donor truck across town, but I had no room at the time for a whole engine.

Chickenbone

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hey Chickenbone, those engines can take a .060 overbore with no problem, so you might look at the one in the truck as a rebuilder, even though the mileage is high on it. Then you could pick up the one at the JY as a spare for another project later on.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
I would like to do that, but my father uses the truck as his main cruiser. The plan is to find a place for us to rebuild the other 292 and when that's done, we'd swap engines when we're good and ready. We already mocked up a full exhaust on the C-20, but we didn't have the time to install it. With this plan, we'll do everything at once.

Chickenbone

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available