Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
In an "Accessory Trial" in the March 1952 Motor Trend, Griff Borgeson reported that the Rajo head increased the horsepower from stock 80.8 to 101.1. - do lump ports give a 25% increase? It had just the additional carb which could be adjusted to come in at any speed.
Price $169.50

Will

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If your meaning the bolt-in style lumps, then yes, we measured a considerable amount more than 25% HP gain with them in the later siamese heads, when compared to a stock small valve head w/o lumps vs. a large valve head w/lumps, both heads being large chambers. There might be some gain with the older heads trying to put lumps in them, but you have the limitation of still having a small port opening.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
i am interested in whether "lumps" can significantly improve flow, horsepower, and torque in a GMC 302 or 270-H head. Those ports should be large enough to establish a difference . . . or not.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
The Siamese branch in the older head is very much “T” shaped and quite different from the “V” in the later head and the builders helping me didn’t think a lump would provide any benefit there and that altering the short side turn radius to resemble that which is on the lumps would be best. They did however suggest a “turtle” on the back wall might be something the flow bench will like. On Saturday I plowed in from the top of a head and milled a NPTF dryseal pipe thread and would give it about a 70% chance of sealing as is. Drilling the holes and then a bit of brazing on the inside lip of the hole to increase the thread surface a few turns before milling should put that at 100% so a Rajo type conversion looks pretty easily doable.

1952 Chev 1300 Cdn. ˝ ton
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
With the welding processes out there now, would it be unreasonable to make and weld in a lump or splitter to make more of a "V" than the "T" that is stock?

I figured that would be one of the primary benefit of that mod; the other being a more or less straight shot at the valves.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Do we know who got this head?
Curt keep us up on how you are doing on your head. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
S
SOB Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
One more reason to make the 2010 Inliners Convention in Boerne (Bernie) Texas in June. Mr. Palmini will be there along with his scrapbook and pictures of his modified head, with which he drilled some serious bent motors back in the day. Mr Palmini is a gentleman of the first order and I believe he will give a short dissertation that will enlighten us all. He also owned Spalding Cams prior to selling the Company to Mr. Ed Iskenderian. Most interesting man. I'm sure there's more to the story.
SOB

Bill Mulholland (SOB)
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
SOB, Is there a chance that the "dissertation" could be videoed? It would be great to have this kind of information available on this site. I would like to get to the convention but right now I don't think it will happen. I hope someone will do an indeph interview of MR. Palmini for the 12 Port News. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Bill
I also think it would be fantastic if the tech talks could be put on tape, as I won't be able to make it to Texas this year. I have a previous planed weekend in Colorado the same dates. I will miss seeing everyone but can't be in two places at the same time.

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Eoats, Beater of the Pack, littlejeep2), 345 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available