#53353 11/10/09 10:13 PM
M
mark50 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
Hey Fellas,
Has anyone made the full flow oil conversion outlined in the Tech Tips on a 261?
I have a 1954 261 with the small 1/8" pipe thread outlets for a bypass filter, but while the engine is on the stand I'd like to convert it to full flow. I figured opening up the 1/8" outlets to a larger size was all that was required until I found the Tech Tip article.
I guess the part about blocking the oil pump to main oil galley was a little intimidating!
Anyway, I just wondered if this is anything to be concerned about or is it a straight forward upgrade? I'd love to hear from anyone that has done this and their experience since the conversion.
Thanks in advance!

Contributor
Contributor
mark50 - this conversion is similar between the 235, 261 and GMC inlines. The only thing I am aware of that might influence how you do it is that the Chevrolet motors seem to have more ribs cast in that location making the area for drilling / tapping a little more crowded.

When you select fittings - get thin wall so that your oil flow is constricted as little as possible.

Here is a photo of mine done on a 270 when complete.

This looks like a good photo step by step on a 261:

http://www.speedprint.com/deves50/oilfilterinstall.php

M
mark50 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
Thanks Ken! That link is excellent and is exactly what I was looking for. Your conversion looks super clean too. Thanks again, Mark.

M
mark50 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
Fellas, I'm almost done with the full flow conversion and had one more question. I removed the plugs at each end of the main oil galley so I can thoroughly clean all of the debris out, and in thinking about replacing them are there any issues with tapping the block and installing removable brass plugs instead of the regular soft plugs?

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Yes, you can install brass plugs. Just thoroughly clean it as before. My 261 was done that way by a previous owner and they have never leaked.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
M
mark50 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
OK cool,thanks for confirming Drew.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available