Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
scpousn Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Need some help,, I am building a 53 chevy 3100 p/u, with a 292 saginaw 4 speed... I am using the cross member from a 54 so tranny lines up perfect where it should be in the truck,, I ordered a shifter from patricks about 6 weeks ago, of course the answer is I will have them next week ,, Im bout ready to cancel the order,, his style of 4 speed shifters mounts to the side plate of the saginaw,, has anybody ever seen any thing like this in other shifters?? the 292 has 1.94/1.6 valves, lumps, polished everything.. langdon exhaust manifold/clifford intake and not sure on which 4 barrel to use...I need advice on that too...all ideas welcome..

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I ran one of Patrick's shifters for several years and liked it. I changed to a T5 for the OD. I'd really rather have the Saganaw with an OD but the solenoid interferes with the shifter. Patrick's shifter is a Hurst 4 speed shifter with short rods and a custom bracket and lever. I'd give them another week then build one. There was another guy making one that mounted on top and would clear an OD solenoid but I haven't heard anything about it in a while. It cost $300 and I heard it was sloppy. Beater
By the way that sounds like a great combo. MY '53 has a 270.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
This is how I manage My 3 speed +od. Home-made bracket with an up-over-up (Z) to affix the shifter. Sits right in the middle of the floor and as for durability my truck is a daily driver only vehicle and I've had this configuration for 8 years.

I'm thinking you could do something similar with your four speed. Thinking outside the box...use a 3 speed shifter for the four speed, put the shifter in neutral and then use a push-pull cable for reverse. A little complicated but it would save you a few hundred bucks.

'49 Chevy 1/2 ton, '56 235, 848 head, Fentons, x-pipe, 1-2bbl H-W.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Cosmo, I got a "page not found" message for your link. I like stuff like your 3 speed shifter idea. Beater

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Yeah I hope to do a Saginaw 4 speed that way on the column, I now split shift and can get 6 forward gears, can you imagine an 8 speed? That would really freak people out, especially the reverse off a cable!! Sorry you can't view the pics, you must have a heavy duty firewall.

[img][/img]

Hope the image isn't too big. This is my own up-over-up .

Below is the side view.

[img][/img]

'49 Chevy 1/2 ton, '56 235, 848 head, Fentons, x-pipe, 1-2bbl H-W.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Four on the "tree" sounds good. Mount the reverse cable on the shift lever along with a button and a toggle for the OD. The "WTF?" factor kicks in. " Hey Buddy, what the &%#@ is that?" You would avoid interference with the solenoid that way. Because of the length of the Saganaw 3 & 4 speeds the solenoid sits right where your floor shifter sits in order to locate the shift lever where it needs to be. I've been thinking of building a cable remote for the solenoid to get more room for a floor shift. Another Idea was to make to Borg OD unit into a stand alone and place it behind the trans, That would involve making a front plate and some mods to the input shaft. The old Tip-Toe-Matic did that in a closed driveline. Any of our plans here could also serve as security systems. If you can't drive it you can't steal it. Beater

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Not to hijack the thread, but I think I might have an open driveline shifter kit from Patrick's. PM me if you want me to look

Tom
I.I. #1475

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 336 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available