Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54314 12/19/09 05:59 PM
56er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I was considering some sort of cryo or heat treatment of my 292 crank, but everything I read on the internet (it's on the internet so it must be true) says cast cranks don't need heat treated if they're turned .010 because the factory heat treat is .060-.080 thick. The more I read, the less the realized I knew about this stuff. Any experts out there? I figured as much as I have in everything else I might as well do this right.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
56er #54316 12/19/09 07:21 PM
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
I do know from racing motortcycles (road racing)people & teams cryo treat there parts,cranks,tranmission gears etc, & they would say they last longer & less failures.

I will say this,,,I installed new front cryo treated brake rotors on my 1997 Silverado truck & they definately last a lot longer & do not warp.

I have had to replace them w/GM rotors,aftermarket rotors & those all warpped.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Somewhere here a few months ago there was a link to a good article about the use of cryogenics on all sorts of parts and many different materials, but I can't find it. Tom

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
We always sent our cranks out to get Nitrided after we did all the machining(lightening) and balancing to them. Can't say if it really helped extend crank life or not, we were just covering all the bases. A lot of Winston Cup teams have used a process called 300 Below to cryogenically treat many engine components, and claim it has great benefits to parts that seem to have a high fatigue or failure rate. I know they were very pleased with the cylinder heads they had treated with this process, so im sure it has a lot of benefits it many areas.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
300 below (300below.com) is the name of one of the companies that does cryo tempering, and is also the process. It is interesting that you take a part and freeze it, and do the same as heating it to extreme temperature. One of the differences is that the part stays dimensionally stable with cryo. Their web site is very informative also. I've spoken with Bill May there and he is eager to help.

IIRC it wasn't that expensive.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yep, for decades, heat treating was always considered to be the best method for strengthening metals. Who would have ever thought back then, that doing the opposite to metals will do the same thing, but better. And your right, its very reasonably priced.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
56er Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
$575 to do an entire engine. Plus shipping both ways of course. I'm thinking pretty hard about this. will update as required.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available